We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

Tampa
Level Contributor
98 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

So after only 5 hours of sleep I wake up at 930 am and cannot wait to get started!

Hubby and I head to the sports book to get some bets down and then grab a quick bite at JPM Patisserie. What a great place to grab a quick breakfast. We shared a crepe and a cinnamon roll, had two white chocolate mochas, an orange juice and a super huge water, can you tell we were trying to rehydrate ourselves =) Food was incredible and reasonable (total $40).

We walk around the pool area looking for his mom and dad. It was so hot and we were still fighting the hangover so we looked around, said hi to them and then headed back in for some gambling, but the pool is beautiful. Slots were tight didn't get much play so we played craps for a couple hours (losing a couple hundred along the way).

Hubby's brother and girlfriend met up with us and we headed out exploring. We walked over to Bally's to catch the monorail as we wanted to check out the Strat tower. As we were walking through Bally's my husband spots one of my sorority sisters from college that I hadn't seen since I graduated. I about cried when I saw her. She was checking in so we agreed to hook up later.

We get to the Strat and we are starving! It's just after 3 (we have dinner reseravtions at Olives at 730). I wanted to eat lunch at Top of the World but they closed at 3 =(

So what do we do.......eat McDonalds! It was quick, cheap, and we weren't tempted to eat too much and spoil our dinner but still.........McDonalds in Vegas, I'm so ashamed=)

No one else in my party would do it so I rode Big Shot by myself! It was the scariest thing I've ever done. Did I mention I'm scared of heights? The worst part was there are four sides that hold four passengers. I was up there with 12 people that were all together so I had a whole side by myself. I hopped in the seat and tried to buckle myself in, but I was so scared I couldn't get the buckle to hook. All I could think of was they would forget about me because I was the only rider on that side, I wouldn't get buckled in right and I would go flying off the top when they sent us flying. I start yelling (it's SOOOOOOO loud up there) "Here I am, Don't forget about me". They take forever and I'm convinced at any moment they're going to release the ride. I'm on the verge of panic (yes I know all the fear was irrational but I was freaked) when the person comes around and checks my buckle. Now I have myself worked up into a frenzy . I thought my heart would explode when the ride took off. The view was crazy. I'm glad I did it, but you couldn't pay me to do it again!

After that we had to headed back to the Bellagio to get ready for dinner so we cabbed it back. Monorail was a total waste. It's too far away from everything and I prefer to just grab a taxi.

Shower and change for dinner. Inlaws didn't know we where treating as a late anniversary present. I had made reservations at Olives, requested a fountain view, and ordered a special cake for dessert. We didn't get the fountain view but everything else was perfect! We had beef carpaccio and tuna for apps, I had the tenderloin for dinner. I also really enjoyed their mojitos. And the best part was the cake! They did such a nice job I was really happy with everything. The cake was even decorated like a wedding cake. (price for two apps, four entrees, maybe 12 drinks, and 4 coffees came to $450) I have no idea how much the cake was, I put in on my card before we left and I can't find it now, sorry.

We then proceded to one of my favorite spots, the Fontana Lounge to watch the fountains on the patio. We enjoyed several drinks and just enjoyed a nice evening together. it still amazes me this place isn't more crowded. I called my friend at midnight to see what she was doing but she was asleep! Are my friends getting that old? What does that say for me..... well she had been up since 4am eastern time. Poor excuse if you ask me =)

Inlaws go to bed and the four of us gamble and drink heaviliy for many hours. Husband and brother in law are playing craps at a full table so I walk up to the one next to it when a group of four men - around my age walk up with over 55,000 in chips and begin some heavy betting standing shoulder to shoulder with me. We start talking and they tell me Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley are playing blackjack in the Prive Lounge which is right next to us. They play for a couple more minutes and take off. The stick man asks me if I knew who that was (the guy playing) and then tells me he's in Nirvana- he didn't know what his name was and I can't seem to find a picture on the net, but he had short black hair, average height, and thin. Not 100% positive it was anyone but it was exciting none the less. After MANY drinks brother in law and girlfriend take off but not before we all gawk at Jordan and Barkley playing blackjack. It was them- they were playing between 10,000-75,000 a hand and were there from 12pm - at least 530am. We crashed hard that night!

Gambling- Down 2,000+

More to come.....

Ohio
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

Reading the part about the Big Shot literally made my heart start beating faster. I can SO relate. I rode it ten years ago with my son and all I could say when we got off was "WHAT was I thinking". Scared the bejesus out of me.

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

the big shot, wow, i would freak out too if they didnt lock me in!! i want to try it, but im scared they would forget about me.

what time did you guys go to fontana lounge? I want to go there next thursday, did you try anything new and tasty there? how much are the drinks about? i know most places range the same amount, but some seem to be more expensive than others!

Tampa
Level Contributor
98 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

We went to the Fontana Lounge around 930pm and we waited maybe 5 mins for a table. I had saved the Bellagio cablecar to try for that night. It was very good, a little sweet but very enjoyable! The six of us had 2-3 drinks a piece and the total was $150ish. I honestly thing sipping that cablecar, chatting with my husband and family, with the fountains in the background is my favorite memory of the trip. They could charge admission for that patio and yet it's never packed out there. It must be a Trip Advisor secret =)

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

Krist Novoselic is the band members name from Nirvana..

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

gotta check that place out! im excited! what exactly is a cablecar? ive heard about them, is that the one like a peach bellini?

Tampa
Level Contributor
98 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

Thank you Slotto- that was him! He was a very nice guy but he played craps like a wild man!

Tampa
Level Contributor
98 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

Cable Car:

Capitan Morgan's Spiced Rum

Orange Curacao

Lime Juice

Sweet & Sour

With sugar on the rim. Very yummy!

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

sounds good! ill take 5! lol

Cleveland
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

IFFF indeed that man was a FORMER member of Nirvana, sounds like it might have been Dave Grohl. Do a search for him, or for the band Foo Fighters, and see if that was who you were gambling. The other poster was correct, Krist Novoselic is the other remaining member of Nirvana, however, I believe he is quite tall and you described the man as average height.

ATTLEBORO
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report July 1-4 Day 2

Good call, weezer..I was thinking Dave Grohl myself. Altho, I'm 48, but still definitely would have recognized him, LOVE Foo Fighters. Well, kappa, maybe you just like different music than me. :)

There seems to be many different Bellagio drinks. I've heard of the Bellagio Cocktail...aka Bellini (I could be mistaken) which is (I think) champagne and peach nectar? That's what I read on here anyway. But I'll keep in mind the Bellagio cable car...boxcar? I need a drink! lol

You wouldn't catch me on that Big Shot, actually I don't think you could pay me enough to ride it. My roller coaster/scary rides days ended 2 years ago when I thought I was gonna have a heart attack on Superman at 6 Flags!

Drinking at the Fontana Lounge, however, is right up my alley! Olives sounds great, too bad you didn't get the fountain view, but the cake sounded heavenly!

So, you've had SEVERAL celebrity sightings! How cool! I'd like to just have one...but can I pick? I want it to be Nicholas Cage!!!! I know, I know...keep dreaming!

Great TR, by the way. LOVE the details, like, this is what we ordered, and this is how much it was. Excellent! Thank you! I can only hope that you are up at the end by at least as much, if not more, than what you're down now!