We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas/New York Trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas/New York Trip

We are in the very early stages of thinking/planning our next US trip.

We are thinking April 2015. Las Vegas/New York.

Thinking 6 nights in Vegas (we just came back from 7 nights, and think we could happily reduce by 1 night).

And also 5 nights in New York, to make sure we see everything we want to.

Which way round would people suggest doing it? I am swaying more towards New York first, all the sight-seeing etc.

Then finish up in Vegas. Thinking the jet-lag/time difference may be kinder that way, but totally open to suggestions.

Will be speaking to Virgin and Hayes and Jarvis when they release the holidays to price up, but will also price up independently.

What airlines fly direct NY to LV? Or vice versa.

Any advice/suggestions?

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

Hi

I would personally end my holiday in Las Vegas. We tour every year and usually do an internal flight from somewhere else in the states.

There are many airlines that will do non stop from New York. For preference we would look at using southwest because they always allow 2 free hold bags in the price, plus the earlybird option, which means you don't have to check in for your flight. You just get to the airport with at least an hour in hand to print your boarding pass and drop your bags off.

If you use kayak you can do a dummy booking to see what flights come up on a non stop if that helps. If you look too far out the lower cost airlines will not show up.

Clive

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

You'll need to price it up but doing a multi city trip with the same airline say UK - New York - Las Vegas - UK can sometimes give you a free stopover in NY in that the flight cost is not significantly more than the UK - Las Vegas return.

Personally speaking I'd do NY first and have done this trip in previous years.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

Thanks Tom. Where did you stay in NY? Have asked on that board too.

We want to stay at the Aria again in Vegas. Potentially Venetian/Palazzo just to be closer to that end, but we love the Aria and always seems to be a bit cheaper as well.

But NY is totally new to me.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

Hi,

After doing this trip twice in the last 3 years I can tell you how we did it.

Both times we did Vegas first and then went onto NYC. The only reason being so that we had the shorter flight coming home (doing the longer flight when we were in the holiday excitement mode).

The first time we went we walked into the travel agents and let them book everything. Was easy enough to do and not sure whether it was cheaper or more expensive. Glad I did some research because TC wanted to put us in Circus Circus but we opted for a split between MGM and Mirage. In NYC we went with their recommendation of the Wellington which was perfect for our first visit.

Second time round and more confident I did the bookings myself. Booked the Vegas leg (Bellagio, Cosmo and NYNY) through Low Cost USA and didn't have any problems and found them cheap. Booked a day bed at the Bellagio in the Cypress Pool lounge for our first full day which was a heavenly way to get over jet lag. In NYC we stayed in the East Village at a place that came recommended to us by a friend and booked that directly through them. With the flights we went directly through Delta I think, although I do remember trying to haggle with dial a flight but not sure if I got any joy!

It's such a fantastic trip to do; Vegas and NYC and given the chance, we'd do it again in a second!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

Also just to add, if you want any advice on NYC then feel free to send me a message, or like has been mentioned, ask on that board as they are a great help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

That is so helpful thanks!!

I can't work out how to message you?

How did you find doing NY second, in terms of to me that feels really full on, lots to see, non-stop, doing etc. Where as Vegas although full-on and non-stop, is all about eating, drinking, gambling so is more laid back.

How many nights in each did you do?

What was the second hotel in NY you stayed at? x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

I just sent you a message now which you can find when you click on "Your TripAdvisor" at the top of the page.

To send a message, just click on someones name and the option to send them a message is on the left hand side.

Let me know if you can't find my message and I'll copy and paste it into here for you....

Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

We are booked up for Sep 2014 3 nights NY & 10 Vegas ( couldn't give up the 10 nights lol) Heading to NY first as I felt we could chill out in Vegas after 3 days non stop sightseeing in NY. BA flights GLA - LON- NY then internal to Vegas then Direct to LON on the way home.

We got a really good price (well I think so) £2480 for all flights & New York Hotel (Mela Hotel 4 star) and I will book our Vegas hotel nearer the time when all the deals come out Suppppper excited.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
264 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

Personally i would do vegas first. Being from the UK, you may want more time in NY and head back from there. United usually has better deals from NYC metro area

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas/New York Trip

Thanks cassieoscar. Did you feel 3 nights in NYC would be enough? It is trying to find that balance.

A really mixed review on which way round to do it. Some have said go straight to Vegas, the jet lag on the way home from NYC won't be as bad. Some have said do NYC first as its all sight seeing and Vegas will be more of a break. Am torn, the reasons for both are valid.