We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

My wife and I are planning to stay here for the first time in December, '13. Just wondering about the who and what of tipping. I imagine the limo driver from the airport rates at least $20 and the concierge is to be tipped but am wondering if it like a cruise where you tip at the end of the trip. Anyway, any thoughts on the proper "tipping etiquette" will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,103 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Put tipping in the search box and read 100s of previous threads. $20 is about right for the limo and the concierge tip will depend on the service they provide.

Other than that tip the bar staff/cocktail waitress $1 or $2 per drink, waitresses around 15% of the bill in restaurants, bell boys around $1 per bag, cabbies around 15% of the fare, housekeeping around $5 per day.

That's just my views - others may disagree.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

I haven't stayed at Hotel 32, but have some general recommendations.

The maid has to be tipped daily, as it may not be the same one your entire stay, and they do not pool tips. I'm assuming there is evening service. This will not be the same maid as in the morning, and should be treated separately. Depending on the size of the suite, I would usually leave $10 for the morning maid and $5 for evening service.

If you will be using the service of the concierge more than 1 or 2 times leaving one tip at the end is appropriate. For just a one time thing tipping at POS is fine. The concierge often pool tips.

$20 is pretty normal for a limo driver unless exceptional service is provided.

MarkDC is back from his trip, and he has frequently stayed at Hotel 32. Hopefully he will see this and offer some insight.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Don't forget the dealers if you are playing table games on the slot attendants if you get a hand pay

QHM
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
560 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

We stayed at Hotel32 last month. We tipped the limo driver $20, and the maids $10 and $5, as Ktinca suggests (since there is room cleaning plus evening turndown service). We didn't use the concierge while we were there, but I DID contact one of them numerous times before we arrived for a number of things. I ended up tipping her once we got there ($50). We also tipped the suite assistants in the lounge daily ($5). Not sure if any of this is "proper etiquette" but it's what we did.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Wow !! I think poor old Breeze is spinning in his grave !!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

I see many $10 for the morning staff, $5 is also fine, don't feel pressured into putting too much out. You know...unless you trash the hell out if the room every night.

$5 is a good flat fee for bell hop if they bring up a full hand cart of luggage up to your room. $20 for limo, 15% for any taxis from there.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Josh: I'm not telling anyone what to do. But most Vegas 1BR suites are 1100-1200 sq ft, and have either 1 & 1/2 or 2 baths. There is more required for the maid, and it takes her much longer to clean. Most feel a larger tip is usually justified.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Always best to tip the maid daily. Sometimes I give them money too.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,869 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

Clint, Tipping is sometimes a tough subject here, LOL.

Had an interesting conversation with one of the maids at Aria Skysuites. She told me that a majority of folks who stay there don’t tip. I find this to be quite believable, but, not wanting to start another tipping tread, I won’t go into why. I believe I have always said if you want to tip, tip what you want. It is not mandatory, but I think that staff appreciate anything, even if it is just a small amount of paper money.

As for "tipping etiquette", I have formed my own. Some concepts meld with what others do, some are my own creation.

The advice given by others is sound. It is normal practice for me to tip as ktinca has said, $10 for a suite in the morning, and $5 for turndown service. While pooling tips may not be required, there is some of this going on at Hotel32 for the following reason. While the std 400 sq ft studios have only one cleaner, the regular 700 sq ft Suites (think Monaco at the MC), will have two people who clean the room. For the Penthouses, there will be a team of three to four. I forgot the # of cleaners for the Lofts, but there will be at least two and probably three. In the studio, I tipped $5 in the morning and $5 (sometimes only $3 or $4) in the evening. Above the Studio level, my tips were $10 (morning) and $5 (turndown). I’m quite a clean person so there’s not too much to do for me, so I have no inclination to increase the amount due to the number of folks cleaning.

While $20 for the limo is appropriate, some only give $10 or $15, after all, a taxi from the airport is about $15, $25 if you are tunneled, LOL. The driver meets you as you come down the escalators and gets your luggage for you as well as offering you cold water. I’m an advocate that you tip what you want and don’t let what others do affect your decision that much. We each have our own situations, so tipping may be a luxury for some and I understand that. What they lack in $ can be somewhat made up by being polite, low maintenance and thankful towards the staff. That has value too.

For the Bell person, if I have no special requests other than getting ice, I tip $5. However, if I ask for an extra luggage stand, or something that they have to run off and do or get for me, they will get $7 - $8 which I know is more than what most others do. Again, tip what you want, if anything.

If there is something that requires maintenance, I give a small tip to that person, but only on the first assistance. If they come back for the same thing, or even something different, I’ve taken care of them once so a thank you is my gift for follow-up visits, even if it is a different person. BTW, after requiring a maintenance visit during my last stay, it was followed up twice, once by my Suite Assistant, and again with a call from the maintenance dept, each asking if everything was address to my satisfaction. Part of that extra you get from Hotel32.

Unlike most, I have my Laundry done either every day or every other day. In other hotels, I bring my laundry down to the Bell desk. In H32, I give it to the Suite Assistant to deal with. I also bring $3 - $5 for the Bell person who picks it up and give that to the Suite Assistant with instructions to give it to the Bell person. They always follow my instructions because they know I’ll be taking care of them later. This small amount to the Bell staff is unusual, not expected, but greatly appreciated.

During my first day, the minibar staff will come around and I make sure they verify that nothing is missing, taken by a previous guest. For some reason, I do not tip this person. Guess I’m just a cheap SOB.

I tip only one of the Lounge staff and only one of the Suite Assistants. I take care of them at the end of my stay or close to it. I double check as to the last time our paths will cross. The first time I did this, I told them that I would take care of them before I left. Now I do not say anything, it is understood. I will just tell them my last day and ask what their schedule is. Lounge staffer and the Suite Assistant I work with will get what I consider to be an appropriate amount. Again, tip what you want and don’t let what others do affect your decision that much.

Everyone I tip goes above and beyond, and then they ask if there is anything more they can do for me. It is like this for most who stay in Hotel32.

colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel 32 Las Vegas - Who and how much to tip

You will love this hotel! Standard daily housekeeping tips....hospitality room tips and hostess tips! Just great service and with that the need to tip came easy!