We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minister's fee...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Minister's fee...

Is there a statutory rate on a wedding chapel's minister's fee?

Please let me be very clear, I'm not asking what other people give or what's expected but whether there is an officially mandated rate.

Thank you.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minister's fee...

Most Ministers do not charge for this service. I don't know of very many items or srvices in this country that have an officially mandated rate.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minister's fee...

ktinca - Correct. Everything I've read "suggests" $50 or more as a tip, depending on your "package" and whatever else, but nothing mandated.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minister's fee...

Yes, I think the usual expectation is $50.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minister's fee...

The cost of stuff is officially mandated by the company selling it. And the rate of sales tax is officially mandated at 8.1% by some wing of government. (I think. See other thread!)

I've read in many places that the minister's fee is $50. I want to know, preferably without an American's head exploding at the implication that a stinking Limey's trying to avoid paying a tip, whether this is a mandatory figure or discretionary.

Can I leave $40 or $60?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,570 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minister's fee...

We got married at the Graceland Clapel in 2009 and the minister's fee was listed at $50. I looked on the website and see that inflation has caught up and it's now listed at $60.

Because I was in a high rolling mood I also tipped The King $50 and he seemed surprised to get it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minister's fee...

Okay, so suggested and expected but not demanded or the law. Great. That's all I needed to know.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minister's fee...

Yes. Or maybe if you have the $5 left over from buying the wedding license, if there isn't any sales tax, you could give that to the minister, for a total of $55.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minister's fee...

It is discretionary, as mentioned above, unless your particular package makes it mandatory or includes it in their billing.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa...
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Minister's fee...

Right on, Irish. Spread the leftover wealth

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minister's fee...

Dave - Interesting. Was it listed in an expected but discretionary way or under some official looking government seal?