We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vegas.com=headaches

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Dimas, CA
Level Contributor
166 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
vegas.com=headaches

I just returned from a weekend in Las Vegas, and thought I would share my experiences. I have booked several shows with vegas.com in the past and have never had any trouble. They had a great deal this weekend for a room, so I thought I would give it a try. Long story short, when we arrived at the hotel they had overbooked, so the room type we reserved was not available. As stated earlier it was a busy weekend so I was told that I was put in one of the few rooms they had left. I called vegas.com to complain, and was connected to a call center. The guy at the call center did try to help, but in the end he's going to look into it for me. The hotel apologized for the inconvenience but told me they could not refund me the difference, because they had not yet been reimbursed by vegas.com. The hotel stated if I had booked through them, they would have compted my weekend for the misbooking in order to make up for their mistake. But according to the hotel, since they had not yet been paid there was nothing they could do to make up for the difference. Anyways, this is Tuesday and I am still getting the run around by all parties involved. Oh well, like they always say, if the deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. :-(

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: vegas.com=headaches

Therein lies the reason most on here recommend booking direct. Booking direct may not have prevented the change in room types as many will say your type is not guaranteed, but the hotel does have more ability/desire to compensate you on a direct booking. I suspect this is not so much a vegas.com issue as any 3rd party site would have been unable to do much for you aside from agreeing to a lesser charge in the end, I suppose.

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
491 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: vegas.com=headaches

Credit card chargeback might be necessary if Vegas.com doesn't fix the problem.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vegas.com=headaches

I like vegas.com as a site for information. My one experience booking with them didn't go much better. Since then, I do almost always book directly with the hotel, with a very few exceptions.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,375 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vegas.com=headaches

What's really amazing is that vegas.com is not one of the highly discounted sites, and so you rarely see it recommended here by any of the regular posters.

Unfortunately over-booking does happen. You did everything you could. You contacted the party with which you had a contract, and while they couldn't do anything at the time hopefully they might offer some type of refund.

I'm sure by now you realize that by using any 3rd party you have to rely on them for help when something goes wrong, instead of dealing with the person in front of you.

But thank you for posting here so that others can hopefully avoid the same situation.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vegas.com=headaches

If the hotel did not tell you they would comp you would you be as upset?

probably not. They planted that seed in your mind so you will book directly with them next time.

Also has you booked with them you would not have been bumped and not offered a comp.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 14:18
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vegas.com=headaches

Just curious, what hotel? What kind of room did you book and what did you end up with?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vegas.com=headaches

Even when I get an unlisted discount code from smartervegas I call the hotel directly and give them the code and then book with them using that code. Has always worked and you get your confirmation directly from the hotel.

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vegas.com=headaches

Im guessing the hotel was sold out of the room type he booked, and when you do that via a third party, they wont bump you up to a higher lever room type or suite for the same rate. If he had booked via the hotels own site, they probably would have. Maybe this is what the OP means by "comped" .

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vegas.com=headaches

This story doesn't make sense. How would the front desk clerk know whether any payment was recieved by vegas.com? It would still have zero bearing on being comped or any service recovery action on the part of the hotel.

Whether you book directly or through a third party you can sometimes be bumped. I've also been upgraded without charge or request on third party bookings.

10. Re: vegas.com=headaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 23:35