We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Topic
Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

Well.... technically not newbies ... we were there once ... in 1989!!

Anyway ... so much to do, to see & to read up on! We are 55+ couple going for 5 days this month. Not big gamblers, will do a little. Like to hang out ... play it by ear...etc.. Staying at Aria, no car, good walkers.

What's the best tip(s) or advice or suggestions some of "vegas veterans" could offer? Thanks.

Sights to see? Dining? Gambling? Anything!!!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

In Chrystal's, try Todd English's PUB. We were there for happy hour. 1/2 priced beer and wine, a dollar each hot wings and three dollar sliders. The wings were too hot for me but the slider... This little slider was the best hamburger I have ever had in my entire life. It was perfection.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

Hi

As you are a similar age to us, how about 'Love', CDS Beatles show. Or maybe Jersey Boys. We also loved Elton John, a sound track to our lives, if he is on at CP.

Make sure you check out the conservatory and the fountains at Bellagio.

And my personal favourite, lunch or dinner at Olives on the patio.

I understand Olives is going soon, so go while you can.

Raise a Bellini for me.

Have a wonderful time.

Sandra b

England
Level Contributor
990 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

I highly recommend seeing Absinthe - it is without doubt the best show I have ever seen in my life

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
541 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

Here are some must dos from our list:

One show-loved O, Mystere, Love, Jersey Boys, Le Reve, and Blue Man Group

Restaurants-Picaso, Prime, Cut, Delmonics, Sinatra, La Cave, Mon Ami Gabi, Bellagio Buffet, Wicked Spoon Buffet, Olives (go early at 4:30 for fountain-view table-try the Butterernut Squash Tortelli either as a primi to share or entree for one-delish!), Charlie Palmer's Cut of the Week, Bouchon (Breakfast or Dinner)

Spa-we usually stay at Palazzo so for us it's Grand Canyon Ranch

Entertainment-The Bourbon Lounge in Venetian plays 80's music and is always a blast.

Drink at Chandelier Bar at Cosmopolitan

Shopping at Ceasars forum Shoppes, Grand Canal Shoppes at Venetian, Fashion Show Mall, and the North Outlets (on our annual Girls Trip we all love David Yurman and there is an outlet store there).

Have a fun trip!!

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

You might like to see Human Nature - not sure where it is now. We also love Parasol Down at Wynn for drinks.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

Human Nature is now playing at Venetian. And if you like Motown music I highly recommend it.

The best things at Aria are the dessert crepes at Jean Philippe. Trust me!

Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

... ha ha.... you just said the 2 magic words....."dessert" & "crepes"...!!!

great tips .

anybody else care to chime in?

NH
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

Make sure you bring the most comfortable walking shoes you have. It's fun to just "walk" and take in the sights. ...The different decors of the hotels and malls; it's entertaining just to wander.

One exhibit that gets little attention that might interest you is the Titanic. We were in Vegas last week and I think I remember reading that it is now on display at the Luxor. (I saw it years ago at the Trop.)

I agree that if you have not seen any of the circ shows, you would enjoy that. Jersey Boys...and if you like good clean comedy Rita Rudner is hilarious.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

My absolute favorite must sees and dos are:

Mix Lounge for sunset. It's on the 64th floor of The a Hotel by Mandalay Bay. They have an open air balcony which gives you a fantastic view of the strip. Go and see it as the sun sets. Drinks and appetizers. Make sure you use the washroom as the view from the toilet is amazing too!

Must see a show. I recommend Cirque du Soleil Love (The Beatles) or Cirque du Soleil One (Michael Jackson). If you can handle crude and rude humor with swearing and heavy sexual content I would also suggest Absinthe.

Go have a drink on the patio at Parasol Up/Parasol Down at the Wynn in the evening. They have a beautiful waterfall and these interesting shows that play on the waterfall in the evening. A really beautiful relaxing spot for a drink.

Spend some time wandering in and out of the hotels. Make sure you see Bellagio, Caesars Palace, Venetian, Mirage, Wynn, Cosmopolitan as they have some unique features. Make sure you see the Bellagio Fountains show and the mirage volcano show.

Try to go downtown to Fremont Street one evening. You only need a couple hours here but the best time is evening as there is a neat free overhead light show. When on Fremont St pop into the Golden Nugget to see the shark pool.

If you want to get off the strip and have a taste of nature and do something really neat check out Scoot City Tours. This is a unique tour of Red Rock Canyon which is close to Vegas and you drive in these super cool and original two person scooters. One of the most fun things in Vegas in my opinion.

Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help? Newbie looking for tips/advice from Vegas "veterans" ?

all good.

please keep 'em comin" !