We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting into walking shape....

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Topic
Getting into walking shape....

Hello all,

I'm sure this is going to sound dumb. I apologize. I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips. I've been to Vegas 3 times and by the end of the trip(no more than 3-4 night visits. My feet feel as if they are going to explode/fall off/die/etc. I'm really skinny, but apparently have crappy feet. I've worn "boots"(timberlands/ doc martins) for my entire life mostly. I do own a pair of tennis shoes that I may wear around 2 hours a month. I bought them for my last vegas trip but they didn't really seem to help.

I'm wondering what else I can maybe try, usually after 4-5hrs of walking straight my feet hurt really bad. I also have some sort of stupid foot crap with Arches as it constantly feels like I'm stepping on something if my shoe has too much arch, it's ridiculous and I'm probably too picky, but that's why I've stayed with just one pair of tennis shoe lately.

Also I'm a nerd and work in the computer industry so I walk about 10 minutes daily for work. Then I go home and mostly sit in front of a computer/tv.

Maybe I should start walking like 1hr every day until I leave (nov 15th) or....maybe I should ____

Please help me fill in the blanks :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,218 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting into walking shape....

I'm not a doctor but I think you should look into getting a better pair of walking shoes, especially if you have some odd foot structure. Boots and generic "tennis shoes" may not be giving you the support you need. I have a pair of Timberlands and they're not especially comfortable for walking any distance.

Here in the US we have dedicated stores for the New Balance brand which has a wide variety of different shoes in all kinds of different constructions and fits for all types of feet; I don't know if you have that brand nearby or what the equivalent would be, but that would be my suggestion....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,526 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting into walking shape....

1) Walk more often prior to your trip. Even just 30 minutes a day.

2) Walk less often once you get there. Why make your vacation a thing of misery, if you know you're going to hurt after walking for 4-5 hours? Take a cab. Space out the walks throughout the day instead of 4-5 hours straight. Or just find things to do closer to your hotel.

Edit: And never apologize for asking a question! :)

Edited: 05 November 2013, 17:33
Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,030 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting into walking shape....

2 suggestions for you (coming from a fellow computer nerd):

1. Get a good pair of walking shoes. Go to a shoe store that will help fit them to your feet, and then wear them as much as possible before your trip to break them in. They may cost more than a cheap pair of tennis shoes, but it will be money well-spent.

2. Start walking at least 30-60 per day. Do it during your break at work, or when you get home from work. Just make the time and start walking.

Despite this, after walking 4-5 hours per day in Vegas, your feet will probably still hurt some, but not nearly as bad as before. Another thing you can do is make brief stops throughout the day and sit for a few minutes while in Vegas. That helps me a lot. Of course, sitting at a blackjack table really helps break up the walking-day. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting into walking shape....

The first thing you need are shoes made for walking. They don't have to be expensive or name brand. THEN you have to break them in. Even shoes made for walking aren't as comfortable when they are new. Wear them every day for a couple of weeks before you head to Vegas.

My wife can't sleep on a hotel mattress very long, 4 or 5 nights at the most. So if we go anywhere more than 5 nights, no matter how good the mattress, I switch hotels during our trip. This way she is not sleeping on the same mattress, and she is not having pressure on the same points, as every mattress is different.

You should do the same thing. Like mattresses, every pair of shoes is different. So bring 2 pairs of comfortable shoes. Wear one for 4-5 hours and then switch. This could help. No one wants to be uncomfortable on their trip. Good luck.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting into walking shape....

Visit a good shoe store and get your feet checked out. Different feet require different shoes--what woeks for one person may not be appeopriate for you. Once you get the right shoe, yes walk more.

Tuckerton, New...
Level Contributor
344 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting into walking shape....

Get yourself a pair of Skechers Go Walk sneakers....like walking on air!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting into walking shape....

Thanks all, and Hi Rhinoman :D

I actually own a pair of Brooks shoes, I was super picky when getting them, they're okay. I can still feel the arch for whatever dumb reason it is with my feet. Brooks is supposedly a good shoe for walking, I did try several New Balance stores, but nothing really worked :/

I will definitely start walking tonight, I need to get into better walking shape, I've a move on Sunday, Vegas Next Friday, and then a cruise in December....Gee wilickers lots of stuff coming up. I keep getting sick too, don't need sore feet to go along with all of this :P!

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. I swear the last trip I took, I did take more taxi's as the first trip I went on I ignored them 90% of the time and was about to die, but I don't know. My feet just suck, wearing boots all day I guess does that. I'll try to break the brooks shoes in a bit more and hopefully like them better, if not I'll attempt to find a better walking shoe.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting into walking shape....

Head to The Walking Company for an orthotic insole. These can often cost as much as some people's shoes, but with the right insole you can wear almost any shoes and be comfortable. Is your problem an Achilles' thing, or a heel spur?

And, while it's true that if you walk a lot, or run, for exercise, that your shoes or insoles should be changed every 3-4 months. An average tourist though should not have to break in new walking shoes for each trip. That's nonsense.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting into walking shape....

I'll have to agree with DaveNJ2006 that you may want to look into some better footwear. Since your complaint deals specifically with sore feet and not just being exhausted after walking you may have some type of correctable condition (such as flat feet).

When I read the title of this thread I was expecting a comment about being in terrible physical condition and that walking is just tiring in general.

If you lead a rather sedentary life you may have some problem that you aren't aware of that should be dealt with.

Part of the fun of Vegas (at least for me) is walking around and taking in the sights and sounds. You should be able to do that also. Go see a podiatrist before your next visit. He should be able to help you.

If nothing else he may tell you there's nothing wrong with your feet, you're just overweight and lazy. (just kidding).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting into walking shape....

Well I did actually see a podiatrist, waste of 160$ in my opinion. He gave me some sort of wood insert for my heel....it hurt to walk on, and a bandage that added some support to my arch or lack there of. I definitely have an arch, but wearing shoes with nearly no arch for my entire life almost has made wearing shoes with arch very weird and unusual....I don't like it and after an hour of walking in shoes like that, the arch spot just hurts.

I'll see about a better pair of shoes though. I tried a few things before my last trip, podiatrist, went to a foot solutions place, went to every shoe store ever to get them to recommend shoes. I'm just a problem child I guess.