We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mgm or mandalay bay?

DONCASTER - ENGLAND
Level Contributor
390 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
mgm or mandalay bay?

it is my friends 30th birthday next june and we are going to Las Vegas to celebrate it but we're not sure which hotel to stay in, could anyone help me in this nice problem that we've got?

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,110 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

The MGM is pretty much in the center of all the action. Mandalay Bay is more on the periphery.

Both are nice hotels and both have great restaurants. But just on location alone, I'd stay at MGM and visit Mandalay Bay.

CO
Level Contributor
208 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

If you want to hang at the pool all day stay at Mandalay Bay. IF you want to save a few bucks (pounds) and don't mind walking for 20 minutes to get to the pool do MGM.

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

I have to disagree. If it is the pool you are after, I would go MGM. We stayed at Mandalay Bay and had a brutal time finding a seat every day we were there. The lazy river is better at MGM, seating was better at the pool, and we could bring guests who were not hotel guests. At Mandalay Bay every single person had to have a key. The rooms at Mandalay Bay were very nice though, I'll give them that. MGM location was better too.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

I'll second the pool opinion. The MGM is the place to go if you are going for the pool. I mean you have 5 to choose from. The lazy river and the adult pool is where I spent my time.

gb
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

Are you open to any other properties?

Los Angeles, Ca
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

Mandalay Bay, but not the 3 prong tower, the L shaped one AKA THEhotel at Mandalay Bay. Very cool real 2 rooms suites that have huge tubs so your friend and 3 or 4 friends can get in.

Much nicer than either Mandalay Bays tower or the MGM Grand.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

The 'Bay will have nicer rooms, esp. bathrooms. it is just generally a newer and nicer place overall

The restaurants are great, (a lot of good ones too at MGM)...and the monorail will take you free up to Tropicana Avenue near MGM

The beach/wave pool is nice, not much for waves, but nice to bob around in...also has a smaller lazy river

MonteCarlo is a reasonably priced, clean and nice place across from MGM, an alternative that is smaller, (much easier to get to your lift and the parking deck),

nice beds, nice pool with waves/river

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

At the Monte, you're out on the strip, or in your car, bing, bang boom.

At MGM, it is a long, long hike to get to either

DONCASTER - ENGLAND
Level Contributor
390 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

Thanks for the suggestions, i stayed in the luxor last year and although i liked it i would like to try a different hotel, what other average priced hotels would you also consider?(we are going in june next year)

10. Re: mgm or mandalay bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 14:20