We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Hotels

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pontiac, Illinois
Level Contributor
238 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown Hotels

Hello We are thinking of staying downtown in June. The nugget is full that week what other hotels are nice down there? 3 couples and us guys want to make sure the girls have enough to do why we gamble. Is there enough shopping and spas downtown? Never stayed downtown. Thanks

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
431 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Hotels

Hi Brian,

I stay at the GN all the time. I just checked prices at GN for June and there are rooms available. Did you go directly to their web site? Depending on your budget for rooms I would recommend Rush Tower.

In June the pool will be open so they could spend the day tanning while you men gamble. The GN also has a spa.

What is your age group, maybe that will also give us an idea as what to recommend

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Hotels

Downtown is more of a place for drinking, gambling, and music. Not too sure there's much going on in the spa and shopping department--there are lots of small souvenir shops, but not too much more that I'm aware of. We like downtown a lot and always stay there, but Golden Nugget is the only hotel that is on par with the strip hotels. Everything else will be a bit of a step down. I like the Plaza as a second choice to the Nugget, but it gets ripped on a lot in this forum. The "D" had a recent makeover. Four Queens looks functional. Main Street Station has some character and is just kiddy corner to Fremont Street. I personally would avoid Vegas Club, Fremont, and El Cortez.

Any chance that the Golden Nugget has rooms available if you upgrade a little? Might be worth it.

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Hotels

Yeah, if the girls are not into gambling, then you may be better off on the strip. There are many more shopping and spa options on the strip. Not so much downtown.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Hotels

The Premium Outlets-North are close but not walkable from Fremont Street. Are you renting a car?

If so, the ladies could head to the Strip for shopping/spa/sightseeing while you're getting down to business on Fremont Street. Otherwise, unless they want to spend all day laying by the pool I don't know if there is enough on Fremont to keep them entertained.

Level Contributor
3,510 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Hotels

This is too far out for booking something for next June (unless you book directly so it is refundable if/when you find a better offer). I have my airfare booked for a January trip, but still do not have my downtown hotel booked for two of the nights (other than a comped room at a CET property I have as a back-up).

If the GN is showing sold out this far out, there may be some sort of large convention in town at that time. If so, anywhere will be expensive. Try to avoid dates with large conventions.

Fremont, Main Street Station, 4 Queens, the D all have good, clean, basic rooms for decent prices. I have stayed at all of these places (as well as the GN) within the past two years.

Fremont street is not a shopping area (other than inexpensive tee shirts and souvenirs to take home to the kids) nor is it a spa area (I think the GN is the only place downtown with one). Its main attractions are the gambling and the outdoor free concerts(and people watching and canopy shows). If the "girls" are not gamblers, there will not be much for them to do during the day, but alot to do under the canopy after dark.

Seattle
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Hotels

Eastsider: Have you ever stayed at The Fremont, or El Cortez? Really easy to not stay at The Vegas Club, as they don't rent out rooms!!

Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Hotels

A new hotel has just opened downtown called The Downtown Grand. It's supposed to be on par with the GN. Check out the reviews on TA. The ladies can take a taxi to the strip during the day, less than 10 minutes away or one of the buses, if not a rental car. The GN has a spa and pool. The Downtown Grand also has a rooftop pool, all new opening in the spring.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
769 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Hotels

Nope, I haven't stayed at those three. Stayed at Golden Nugget, Plaza, and the "D". I wouldn't want to stay at El Cortez, just because it seems too far off Fremont Street. I've been in The Fremont plenty of times, and just wouldn't want to stay there--kind of subjective choice. The Las Vegas Club was what I was referring to (Didn't they drop the "Las" from their name at one point?) Usually gets pretty bad reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g45963-d91876-R…

Edited: 06 November 2013, 23:40
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown Hotels

have never had problems yet, but like any walking in any other city, stay aware and alert.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown Hotels

I will concur that if the girls aren't into gambling, you may be happier on the Strip. There just isn't much downtown in terms of shopping and spas. My daughter and I love downtown, but we do gamble.

If you do stay downtown, I would rule out the Fremont because the bathrooms are just so small that getting ready to go out with 2 people juggling for space would be difficult. The rooms are nice enough, don't get me wrong, just that bathrooms are positively tiny with nearly zero counter space for personal items. Main Street and the California are fine. I've stayed at El Cortez but only in a Pavilion room (the only rooms that allow smoking). I wouldn't recommend those rooms but the Cabana rooms might suit your group.

Ignore those who say it's unsafe getting to El Cortez because it's beyond the downtown canopy. I've done the trek from MSS to there solo at 4 am with no problems. Common sense and being aware of your surroundings, same as you would at home, are all you need. Besides, you're a group of people not a solo traveler.