We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights

ireland
Level Contributor
424 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Flights

Hi,

First time on this LV forum and maybe someone can give me an indication of when flights are most reasonably priced, planning a seven night visit next September and have no experience of booking flights for that time of year from Ireland.

All help welcomed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights

Welcome to the Las Vegas forum, Neil. You're very welcome. Lucky you looking to book a trip!

Others may stick their necks out a little further than I will but I would say to you, these days, it's just so impossible to tell. Not like the good old days a decade or more ago.

I will say that some airlines, Virgin being one of them (who are a popular carrier from the UK to Las Vegas), will probably have a sale on around Christmas.

Beyond that I think it comes down to whether you would rather have something booked and forgotten about and start looking forward to the trip or hold out for a price drop, not have anything confirmed and risk a price rise.

I'm option one. My Dad's option two.

So I'd say think of how much you're prepared to spend, if you can get it for that now, book. Then start thinking about hitting those buffets.

He'd say wait until at least Christmas, see if there's a sale, then keep monitoring things and book in about April.

So, Neil... are you me? Or are you my Dad?

:)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights

I realise that didn't answer your question hardly at all. I hope others can give you something better. And if not that at least you could take a few thoughts away from my drivel.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights

Hi

Not certain about dates, maybe next spring. I would look at United from Dublin, so you can do immigration there instead of in the USA. You can use www.kayak.com to keep an eye on prices.

Clive

ireland
Level Contributor
961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights

I always fly via London with Virgin Atlantic and have gotten some good deals ,

ireland
Level Contributor
424 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights

Thanks to all respondents,

Whichever carrier or price it probably makes sense to route through Dublin for immigration purposes and waiting till Christmas seems a smallish risk to take in case of a drop/rise in prices.

Been looking a few weeks now and the prices are fluctuating so that's what inspired me to put my trust again in TA, just means more research and it can pay off!

Martin

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights

'Whichever carrier or price it probably makes sense to route through Dublin for immigration purposes'

That is nonsense. Sorry. It's a nice perk to not have to clear immigration in the U.S. but not at the expense of the service and quality provided by the airline (you're going to be on those planes for twenty-four hours) or a particularly significant cost saving.

Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights

hi there,

been 3 times from dublin. Last visit being sept 12.

we normally fly from dublin with one stop over. Last time round it was in phily.

We booked in March time and it cost around 950£ for a week in middle of september staying at mirage. I booked as a package through expedia.

If i have booked when i first looked prior to christmas it was £820. I must say... if you see what you consider a pretty good price just book. it. I held off because of potential work commitments- i couldve had a few more bucks for craps

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights

He's a me, not a my Dad.

ireland
Level Contributor
424 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights

Thanks Irishblue,

One persons nonsense is another's sense.........

No direct flights from Dublin for now anyway so a 1 stop is the minimum and depending on airline that can add wasted hours in the transit point and is a factor along with price.

We are not interested in a package unless one pops up at a great price before Christmas, not sure what the message in post 8 is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights

No, it's just nonsense. If you get crappy service, sitting in a crappy seat on a crappy plane, eating crappy food, watching crappy movies on a crappy TV and you pay more for it just so you can save an hour going through immigration in Las Vegas, it's a nonsense.

If you can find a great airline at a great price and fly from Dublin, happy days.