We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The beginning of a Riviera revival?

London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
The beginning of a Riviera revival?

I have a soft spot for the Riviera, despite it being a 'dump'. However, as I see it, it is my 'dump' and I visit on each visit to Vegas.

I stumbled across this today.

reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/mike-weather…

Could this be the beginning of an upturn?

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,619 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,111 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
914 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
1. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 November 2013, 17:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

Maybe true, Holly.

It seems to have been on it's 'last legs' for some time now. The Riv is clearly not going down without a fight.

Perhaps I should take book on how long it has to live...mmmm.....new post idea.

v
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

What the owners need to do is find its current market, and be the best it can be in that market. Unfortunately it's a low end property with much competition such as Flam, Harrah's, Quad - and most visitors will take those over Riv with location being a deciding factor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

Maybe. I am of the consensus that it needs to hang on until the North End of the strip has developed. In any case, I really hope it hangs around before my next visit.

58 not out. . . this is a cricket term for our non-UK friends :-)

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

I don't think this is enough. They need to look at what the Trop did and take some pointers from that.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

Bombs away, it is a sad relic of days gone by. Once the new properties on the north strip start to spring up, it will go from a sad relic to just plain eye sore. Implosion is it's destiny...

Carlsbad CA
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

The answer is no.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

I like the Riviera - but the problem with Las Vegas is the problem with the overall economy/society.

The Haves and Have-nots problem. There is no middle anymore. So anything that is not luxury becomes a "dump" fast.

FYI - - In a recent survey 24% of young people define the American Dream as "not being in debt."

Edited: 15 November 2013, 14:57
Mentioned in this post
Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

It would be sad to see the riv blown up. Whenever we lose any of the old joints a little but of what makes Vegas disappears forever. At least we can go to the flamingo, Tropicana, quad, and the riv and get a feel for the good old days. I am glad to see the Sahara will still be standing even with all of the changes.

Mentioned in this post
Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
195 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The beginning of a Riviera revival?

" At least we can go to the flamingo, Tropicana, quad, and the riv and get a feel for the good old days. ".

I stated that we can physically go to these places and get a "feel". For the good old days. I did not state that these places were as good as they were in the old days.