We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Posted as a reply

Special Offer
Pawn Stars Tour of Las Vegas
306 reviews
from US$55.99*
US$79.99
Las Vegas Reality Show VIP Tour
88 reviews
from US$69.99*
Special Offer
Big Bus Las Vegas Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
407 reviews
from US$36.89*
US$45.05
Las Vegas Segway Tour: Historic...
10 reviews
from US$129.99*
Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Spent the past week in Vegas (not sure how many trips this is but been visiting for the last 17 years) and here are a few random thoughts.

Ballys: I have stayed here numerous times over the past 10 years (have also stayed at Harrah’s twice, Orleans, twice, Monte Carlo, twice and Luxor ) and like Bally’s for its location and attachment to Paris. For years I was happy with the non-renovated South Tower rooms. Great views...rooms were clean and who spends a lot of time in the room anyway? We stayed in the newly renovated Jubilee Tower and loved the job they have done. Rooms are bright with at retro designs. Mini fridge, coffee maker, large safe. Bathrooms are nicely done with walk-in showers with rain style shower heads. The rooms have a divan (I guess you would call it) for sitting/lounging. Great to sit there by the window and enjoy the view. We were on floor 15 and had a great view of Paris and the south strip.

Gambling: Mostly slots and VP and for once I did pretty good. Most of my decent wins came at Bally’s but played at other CET properties as well.

Drinking: Spent a couple of nights watching the strip from the outside 5:00 Margaritaville bar at Flamingo and really enjoy the view of the strip and people watching. Drinks at the big hotels are pricey. As an example, three years ago a 20 ounce beer at the bar at Bally’s was $3.00, last year it was $4.00, this year they didn’t offer a 20 ounce beer and the 16 ounce draft was $7.50. Free (so to speak) when playing VP max coins at the bar so that’s what I did when I wanted a drink there. Fortunately I also won on the VP machines.

Shows: Only went to one and it was Rod Stewart @ the Colloseum. Great show. I had seen him there two years ago, but my wife wasn’t along on that trip, so wanted to take her and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Excursions: Went to the Gold & Silver Pawn Shop and waited an hour and forty five minutes to get in cause they were filming. This was my 3rd visit and I would have never waited that long (or made a 3rd visit) except I was with a friend who had never been and was keen to see the place. Since my first visit several years ago it has become even more of a T-shirt shop than pawn shop. When we were there this time Chumlee was signing (I don’t do autographs so never asked for one). I think if you are a fan of the show it’s worth the visit. Depends on how much you value your Vegas time.

We also had a car and visited the Valley of Fire. Nice day excursion and beautiful. I wish we had packed a picnic lunch, though. Poor planning on our part. Not much to see between there and Vegas though.

Made our first visit to the Las Vegas sign. Some guy was taking photos for everyone which was kind of cool. Not an employee or anything I don’t think just some dude who actually did a pretty goo job.

We did the Minus 5 Ice Bar in Monte Carlo. I had been before but my wife hadn’t. It’s OK but the novelty wears off pretty quick. I can’t imagine staying for more than the two drinks you get with the entry package though the drinks were very good.

All in all a nice trip. Lots of construction and lots more people looking for handouts and/or posing for photos and the like. Looking forward to returning to ride that big Ferris Wheel next year.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 19:26
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Thanks, nice report.

Just wondering, had you reserved a room in the Jubilee Tower, or was it an upgrade that they gave you?

Marquette, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

I had reserved a S. Tower room back before they were finished with the renovations. When I reserved the room there was no option for Jubilee Tower yet.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Great TR.

yes, drinking can get expensive.

Crandon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Interesting report....I have always like bally's north tower rooms, but a frig sounds so good.

Thanks for posting!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Thanks for the report. I stayed in a Jubilee room for 3 nights in October and loved it. I loved falling a sleep in the wee hours looking at the lights of the strip. Ballys is a great hotel with great staff. Never been to see pawn stars and it doesn’t sound like it’s worth the Vegas Time. Glade you had a great trip.

Cochrane, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Thanks for sharing. I don't get the appeal of the minus 5 bar, I can do that for free, just have to step out on my deck and there's plenty of snow and ice there ;-) lol

Allentown...
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

24fan...we probably passed each other throughout the week :) We also stayed at Bally's last week and saw Rod which we really enjoyed. I'm glad you did well gambling because we had our a**es handed to us LOL which is fine...that's our entertainment!

Calgary
Level Contributor
730 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Thanks for the great write-up. Bally's is my go to hotel in Las Vegas. I've always stayed in the North Tower and expect that is where I will be tomorrow night - unless they upgrade me. Reading your report just makes me that more excited for my trip.

I read somewhere that the bridge over to what used to be Bill's is closed and you can't access the Flamingo by that route. Did you happen to notice whether that is true or not? Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
837 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR: Ballys, Pawn Stars, Rod and more

Betty, the bridge going over to Bill's is still open. Crossed it every day last week :) There is construction going on while you are passing but they haven't closed it. Oh...also ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Edited: 19 November 2013, 02:36