We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are rental cars equipped in March?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
How are rental cars equipped in March?

Renting from Avis in Las Vegas mid-March, but driving to Monument Valley, Moab, Bryce Canyon.

Should be fine except Bryce Canyon at 8000' plus could easily have some snow.

Do I get at least all-season tires?

Or better?

Toronto
Level Contributor
205 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

You may want to call the rental agency and ask, since they will have the best answer for you. I truly doubt that rental cars in Vegas will have anything better than all season tires on them.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
540 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the 800 number, but it's probably time to try it.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

I don't know Avis's rental policy but I'm quite sure Alamo restricts Nevada renter's to Nevada, California and Arizona....so no Utah. Perhaps you have already looked into this.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

I have driven to Utah with an Alamo rental car. Maybe I shouldn't have? Guess I'd better check that out for next time!

I believe that Alamo charges an extra fee for chains on the tires. Darn those fees!!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

From the Avis site when renting at LAS:

"Vehicles at this location can be driven throughout the continental US with no restrictions. Based on availability, one-way rentals may be allowed to some US cities."

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

I looked over the Alamo website for terms and conditions and I cannot find anywhere that prohibits a Vegas car from being taken into Utah. I have never heard of chains being an option. Chains are needed in extreme conditions and require knowledge and ability to install them. They would not be offered as a routine option.

If you are concerned about ice or snow rent a 4 wheel drive.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

From the Alamo website:

"Rentals originating in the United States (US) can be driven throughout the United States (US) and Canada."

Guess I was OK driving to Utah. Whew! And I just remembered...I brought my own chains.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 14:51
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

Thanks for the Alamo update Rhino. That must have been old info. Good to know.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

Every rental car I've ever had forbad using chains. Chain laws are strictly enforced in CA (or were when I lived there 10 years ago). If you rented in the bay area and drove up to Mammoth or Tahoe in the winter you might need chains. There were always guys set up at the chain up points selling chains and putting them on. So your choice was to break the law or break the contract. CO is much more lienient. The law is enforced strictly for big trucks, but doesn't apply to passenger cars.

Kawaguy, you can check, but you're not going to get tires that are good for snow from a Vegas rental.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,348 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How are rental cars equipped in March?

The cars will have stock dealer tired only.