We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

Hi, I am from Australia. I rented a car from Dollar Rental A Car in Las Vegas, then dropped it off in Phoenix about 19 days later. When I picked up the car in Las Vegas, the staff working in Las Vegas office asked me to pay about $450 in cash for the car. Then after I returned to Australia, I found out Dollar Car Rental charged me again. Later I found out that it was actually the staff working in Las Vegas office took my cash payment illegally. However, because I lost the initial receipt after I paid the cash, neither my credit card company nor Dollar Car Rental is willing to do anything. I asked Dollar Car Rental company to check the video, but the reply from their customer service is to ask me to report to police. I wonder if anything has similar experience and know what I can do for this kind of scam?

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

You didn't keep the rental agreement????? Your payment method should be on the rental contract that you signed when you picked up the car in Vegas.

You may very well be out of luck if you have no proof of payment....

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

Don't mean to by unsympathetic, but why anyone would pay a large bill in cash is beyond me. At least when paying by credit card, attempts at double billing by the company are more obvious.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

What can I say, yes, bad luck. In Australia, we pay the car rental fee when picking up the car. But I have to say i am really surprised the Dollar Car Rental is such a shameless company. The customer service didn't try to do anything to solve the problem. I kind of feeling maybe part of the cash payment went into the company's profit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

I did hand over my credit card to the staff, he told me that: "Our office doesn't accept credit card. We only accept cash". Now you should know why I call it a scam.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

How do you know its a Dollar employee?

their Dollar web site says credit card payments are ok

so if this ever happens again, call Dollar Corporate before handing over any cash.

http://www.dollar.com/Help/FAQs/DollarCarRentalPolicies.aspx#{2BC367B7-4937-4F3B-AF13-E9B9C2E5F9B9}

and if a Dollar employee and you have the name you might want to report it to Better Business Bureau (your money is probably lost bu they can investigate further as this seems quite out of the norm)

http://www.bbb.org/us/Consumer-Complaints/

Sorry this happened to you - I have never seen an all cash demand before.....

6. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 14:11
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

Hi, Mini, great thanks for the information you gave to me. I don't really expect I could get my money back. But I really want to do something to stop this staff ripping off another foreign visitor. His name is Terry. I picked up my car when he was the only person working there. He is definitely a Dollar employee. Also I talked to someone else in the office and that person told me they would never ask customers to pay cash from that office. It is a lesson to me. Glad that something like this would never happen to me again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

Hi, Jan, thanks for your suggestion for filing a police report. But i have called Las Vegas Police. They told me that they couldn't identify me. Well, not that easy to do something like that when I am in Australia. Anyway, all I want is try my best. If nothing happens, that is fine. At least I have tried.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

Hi

So sorry for you. You will have to put it down to experience. First lesson is keep hold of all documents. We were charged a drop off fee at LAX once which should not have been charged. When we got back to the UK and noticed it we complained and got our money back. So with proof you can get it sorted. Always use a credit card, never cash.

Clive

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,688 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can I do after I was scammed by Dollar Rental A Car

This sounds quite unfortunate, but I am doubtful that you were "scammed". I suspect some miscommunication, a possible bookkeeping error on Dolar's part, and your inconvenient loss of all documentation coincided for an unfortunate outcome.

I can't see Dollar employees at a busy international airport suddenly trying to scam one traveler by insisting on cash, only to pocket it. They DO accept credit cards. So the real question is why didn't they accept yours? Did they try and run it and discover it didn't have enough of a limit for the hold? Was it actually a debit card that they wouldn't accept? Was it a type of credit card they don't accept? Were they actually refusing the card, or was there just some miscommunication?

The majority of businesses that have video surveillance do not have it to monitor their employees at the customers request weeks after the fact. They have it as a safety measure against crime. As such, they likely don't even keep the footage for more than a few days or maybe a week. In fact most businesses don't want to for this specific reason. There is actually greater liability in having that film long term. And then they have to be responsible for maintaining it and providing it if requested.

As for contacting the police. Really? What are the police going to do weeks after the fact with a complainant who is halfway around the world? We're talking about a couple hundred bucks here. How many man hours would you like the police to put into this?

If you really think you were wronged, and that it was an intentional act, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Or while you're at it, look up the business on their website. Maybe you find dozens of other complaints about the same thing. If that's the case, then maybe this gets some legs. But if you're the only one, then it sounds a lot more like a misunderstanding than a "scam".

Contacting Dollar and saying "I paid that bill in cash before it is normally paid by credit card, but I have no proof of this" is a little low yield. YOU lost the documentation. You are just as responsible for this as they are. Perhaps instead of pointing the accusatory finger at Dollar, a more conciliatory tone might at least get you some sympathy, and perhaps some sort of concession on a future rental. But expecting them to simply take your word about something when the story just doesn't sound right isn't realistic.

You weren't scammed. You were screwed by happenstance.