We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

My boyfriend and I are travelling to the US next year, but we're limited for time and only have 7 days to visit LA and Vegas. We're not big gamblers but we definitely want to travel to the Grand Canyon while we're in Vegas. I just want to know which place has more to do and which one we should spend more time in.. I know there heaps to see in both, but I just want to know which city would need more time to explore...

Thanks!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

Even though LA is huge there isn't a huge amount to actually see. I spent a week there and that was more than enough. Everywhere is far from everywhere else and we spent a lot of time just travelling on the local buses. Might be worth getting a car. Like a lot of people on this forum I would say there are more things to see and do in vegas even if you don't gamble.

I would recommend 3 nights in LA and 4 in vegas assuming you are flying into LA first. Maybe even 5 nights in vegas and 2 in LA in flying to vegas first. Allow a full day for the Grand Canyon and pay the extra for flights vs taking a bus tour as nothing is more precious in vegas than your time.

Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

I really wasnt impressed with LA at all. If you really want to spend time there though then i would say 5 Vegas, 2 LA.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

You should post this in the LA forum too. Would be interesting to find out if they have the same or different answers for you.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

I agree, more time for Vegas, especially if you plan a GC trip. Spent 3 nights in LA last year and wish I'd missed it out altogether!

Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

Yea I might just post it there too! I think you've convinced me though! It'll definitely be LA either 2 or 3 days and then the rest in Vegas.. Even just looking at all the things you can do in Vegas, I think it'll definitely be worth spending the extra time there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

IMHO the only thing worth going to LA for, is Disneyland, and to a lesser degree, Universal. But we're baby boomers - great romance associated with DL for us.

If you're not into DL, I'd give LA a miss altogether, and just do LV (Great!) for four days, and spend the other three days hiring a car and taking a two night trip to the Grand Canyon via Hoover Dam. You can do it in a day but it's way too rushed. The GC is at its best early in the morning and late in the afternoon; it’s a marvel of nature and absolutely awe-inspiring. And you can break the (five hour) drive up and see a bit of the real America by stopping off at places like Kingman, Seligman and Williams en route. This trip will just break up, and nicely complement, your time in Vegas.

And even if you are into Disneyland and Universal, save it for next time - you WILL be back! The US is addictive.

If you do this trip to the GC, try and do it on Friday and Saturday nights when LV hotel room rates go through the roof!

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

Welcome there is a lot to see in L.A. Depends on your interests. Get travel books and decide. Also work out how best to include Grand Canyon.

You could do 4 days LA and 3 days Vegas.

Enjoy...include Disney and Universal

In Vegas consider MGM or Caesars

Safe travels

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

I think I would skip LA altogether, and go to Las Vegas for 3 or 4 days and then to San Francisco for the remainder. Unless you want to go to Disney and Universal.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,825 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

There is a lot more to do in Southern California than Las Vegas. 3 days in Las Vegas is plenty.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should I spend more time LA or Vegas?

There is soooo much more to Southern California than Disney and Universal!! Museums, beaches, mountains, shopping, dining, and so much more! But you do realize you're asking this in a Vegas forum so if course you're going to get biased answers! I would highly suggest getting a good guidebook and do some research online and pick out the absolute musts for each location and try to figure out how long it's going to take to get those things done then go from there.