We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

Hi all,

We are in Vegas later this month, and are planning to get a hirecar and do a road-trip to San Francisco over 2 days. Had thought about going through Yosemite, but concerned that there might be too much snow.

Does anyone have any good route/itinerary recommendations?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

In winter, with the road into Yosemite from the east closed (Tioga Pass) you will need to either go south, then up the central valley (which can get very foggy), or north and across via one of the major routes over the Sierras that remain open.Yosemite may have chain restrictions, and you are not allowed to put chains on a rental.

This time of year you might consider just flying.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,542 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

It's over 550 miles from Las Vegas to San Francisco so a 2 day road trip means you'll spend most of the time driving there and back for a few hours in the city having had to pay for expensive parking on your overnight.

Flying would be the better option in my opinion - you don't need a car in San Francisco and with your limited time I'd don't think Yosemite is viable.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

Consider flying. Oakland Airport is sometimes a cheaper airport to fly into and is 30mins away from SF.

If you must drive, I would skip Yosemite as it may be hazardous driving conditions. I now reside about 2 hours north of SF and if I do drive to Vegas I like to break up my drive/trip with an overnight stay at Harris Ranch in Coalinga right off the I-5.

Also, depending on the route you would take, you could stop off in L.A. for a day before SF.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

www.southwest.com/flight/?int=GNAVBOOKAIR

there is good public transportation (BART) between the city and airport.

check SFO and Oakland airports for best fare.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 22:40
Honolulu
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

Well it's doable in one day. Anywhere from 7.5-9 hours is the drive time if you use I15 west to CA58 west to CA99N to San Fran.

Use this link for weather and road conditions thru Yosemite. Roads can be open today and by tomarrow they could be closed.

http://video.dot.ca.gov/

Tioga pass is closed for the season.

Use the above mentioned route and you will avoid any roads that are closed due to weather. Only problems maybe thru tehachappi but very rare.

Enjoy the drive if you do plan on driving.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,465 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

Here are a few options:

Road Trip - San Francisco to Las Vegas tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c200326

With only two days / one night, limited hours of daylight, and problematic weather, I'd probably fly and then rent a car for a quick road trip from SFO. Return the car when you get to SF.

If you really want to go through Yosemite, you'll enter on Hwy 41 and exit on Hwy 140 or Hwy 120. Carry chains and plan for weather delays.

Bradford
Level Contributor
48 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

I drove from Vegas to San Francisco in the summer, left Vegas mid-afternoon and stayed over in Bakersfield (nothing much to do there, just got a cheap motel and pizza!) then set off to SF early morning and was there by lunch time.

8. Re: Las Vegas to San Francisco by road.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17