We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying in/after snow

philly
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying in/after snow

So it's snowing here and I leave for my trip in 3 days. Yay.

For anyone who has ever flown out in or after snow, how does it go usually? Are delays guaranteed? How about cancellations?

I'm kinda freaking out here. I will be taking the train to the airport which is actually the easiest way where I am from. Not looking forward to that either. Trains act up just in rain; I can imagine snow. Well.......

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,277 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying in/after snow

3 days? Trains act up in rain? Really? Have you checked a weather forecast for the day you're actually traveling? It's not really the blizzard of the century out there, is it?

Hilltown...
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying in/after snow

You'll be fine. Three days means you are leaving on Wednesday.

The snow is supposed to stop early tomorrow morning and anyone that was delayed by the weather will be out of there tomorrow night or Tuesday at the latest.

The airports should be back to normal by Tuesday.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying in/after snow

Heck we fly in from the Canadian Yukon/Alaska border every winter.....It can be very cold with lots of snow on the ground...I think everything will be fine...

Chicago
Level Contributor
591 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying in/after snow

For winter travel I expect some delays. On a summer trip I might plan to do something 2-3 hours after landing. Winter trips I might have a night show booked if I'm supposed to land around 11am, but if I was landing at 5ish I wouldn't chance it. Weather is unpredictable and storms in other parts of the country can delay planes and mess with your travel plans even if you dont have weather in the area. For example last Dec my flight out of Chicago left 2 hours late because there was a storm on the east coast that made my plane late arriving

If there are no storms planes will be mostly ontime, maybe a few minute delay for deicing but nothing major.

Nothing you can do about weather so you just have to go with whatever is thrown at you and be patient with delays

philly
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying in/after snow

@IrishFan yes the trains up here act up in the rain. I know this for a fact since I am from here and take the train often. The train can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours delayed. Yes. It has happened to me personally a few times.

It is snowing consistently and I am sure it has gone over the 3 inch max predicted. And yes I have checked the weather. Monday, it will rain. But Tuesday it will rain and snow again. Maybe not as bad but this snow was not reported to be as it is now. So just asking for advice from someone with experience:)

6. Re: Flying in/after snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 December 2013, 16:05
aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying in/after snow

Three days? You should be fine. My daughter and I fly in and out of Denver to Vegas in the winter. Oddly enough, our longest delay was in Vegas, we actually had to wait for our plane to be de-iced. Vegas airport isn't big on de-icing equipment.

philly
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying in/after snow

Thanks for the encouragement everyone else. I will just have to deal with it but I did freak out a little. I arrive to Vegas at 8:30 and just a couple hours delay will give very little time left in the day to anything. Oh well.

Thanks again:)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,643 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying in/after snow

Delays happen, nothing you can do about it, so I cant see getting "freaked out about it" , especially 3 days before your travel date.

There are a lot of things that can delay a flight, more often than not a delay has nothing to do with weather where you are. It could be mechanical, flight crew issues, weather in other cities etc.

I live somewhere where it doesn't snow, but since many areas of the US are getting snow and ice the past few days there have been many flight delays and cancellations as a result in my home airport.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
989 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying in/after snow

We flew out of Vegas on Friday headed to NY. I, too, was a little freaked out the night before because even though I knew Rochester wasn't going to get it....and Vegas wasn't going to get it.....I had to get through the areas that were getting hit with the storm. I did not relish getting stuck in an airport and having to go through the process of trying to get on another flight. Luckily, short delays and connections were made.

Try not to worry...what will be will be and you will get there!