We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Rental Car Info.....

New YOrk
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Need Rental Car Info.....

I plan on renting an economy or compact car for a week in October. I would like to rent it at the airport terminal. Which company do you recommend? Any car discount codes out there? Any car companies I should stay away from? Thank you.

Culebra, Tx
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

Dollar is good. Join their Fastlane Express program.

You can usually find a compact for less than $13 a day

Also, check the rates on hotwire,com.

Advantage has been getting some bad hits lately.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

I have almost always used Thrifty(never any problems) but Dollar has also gotten good reviews. I would just check the biggies and go with whichever one is the cheapest.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

Once you do make that reservation- keep looking at the web site(s). If the rate drops you can contact them and get the cheaper rate or cancel and rebook. I did that twice with my last rental.

NJ
Level Contributor
658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

Check with Thrifty and sign up for the blue card. It's free and you get 10% off your first rental. They also have a special counter for you and you don't have to wait in a long line.

Culebra, Tx
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

Dollar also gives you Rapid Rewards for Southwest Airlines. It's just one half a credit, but every little bit helps.

Long Island,NY
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

i have used both Thrifty and Dollar, but am using Dollar more now because I get the credit on Southwest Rapid Rewards- a half credit but twice so far it was doubled to 1 - my husband just got a free flight on SW and I am close to one.

If you go to SW site online and click on partners- you can see all rates compared with the major car rental companies. it makes it easier to see the better rates.

Using Dollar I got a great rate for May and have one for Oct, although I will keep checking back as they tend to go down. Although I didn't sign up for the Express program we were out of the terminal and out of the car lot in a very reasonable amount of time.

Good Luck!

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

join dollar express, and rent, at www.dollar.com

price and service speed are tops

Montana
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

After a recent dollar express experience I agree with the votes for Dollar above. Fast, easy, and cheap

New YOrk
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

Thank you for your responses. I just love this forum - I get the BEST advice!

jbj
midwest
Level Contributor
436 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Rental Car Info.....

Depending on where you are staying and what your plans are, you also might want to consider taking a taxi to your hotel and then renting the car the last part of the week so you have it for your return to the airport. We have done this several times--the most recent the end of May. We find the first few days we basically walk the strip so it is useless to have a car then. It depends on the size/price of the car also--if you get a good deal on a compact then it will probably be cheaper to have it for the whole week. We had to have a larger vehicle this time and we saved considerable money even taking in the taxi to the hotel. Dollar has desks at Bally's and Paris for sure and several other places. Either way, book your car as soon as possible and then keep checking the rates.