We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers. Just Your Typical Vegas Trip

If there is a better time than the 1st week of October to visit Las Vegas I have yet to find it, and believe me I have certainly tried.

Arrived Sunday around 10:30am, 20 minutes later checking into THEhotel. Pleasantly requested a room on a higher floor near the end of the hall, as I am a light sleeper. Was told by the clerk that he was going to upgrade us to an end suite with a strip view (you can draw your own conclusion whether the $20 tip had anything to do with it), was given room 28815.

This is the 2nd time we have been given a room xx815. These are the best regular suites at THEhotel. Because they are end suites they are larger, have an extra set of windows, and being on the corner have 3 separate views. The regular suites have basically the same view from both the living room and bedroom. While the different views are nice, it is the slightly larger bedroom that we like about these #815 rooms on each floor. If you can’t get #815, room #816 is the same size without the strip view.

After a short wait for the bags and fridge, change into pool wear and off to Border Grill for lunch. Chicken Quesadillas and the 1st Margarita of the trip, sitting with a view of the Mandalay Bay river -- life is wonderful.

First afternoon in Vegas spent by the MB river with Pina Coladas.

Met some interesting people at the pool. They drove to LV from Utah. The main purpose of their trip was to visit Trader Joe’s. In addition to a couple of cases of hard liquor, they are bringing home 5 cases of wine. To those not familiar with it, Trader Joe’s sells a brand of wine nicknamed “two buck Chuck”. They made a trip to Las Vegas just to buy some $2 wine. They can’t buy this wine in Utah.

God, I’m glad I live in California.

Back to the room so my wife can take a short nap. I have a horse I like in the 8th at Santa Anita, so it’s down to the racebook.

The horse wins BUT there is a Stewards Inquiry involving the 1st 4 finishers. I watch the tape and just know my horse is going to be disqualified.

I’ve been in Las Vegas for almost 6 hours, finally make a bet, WIN, and now they’re going to take it away from me. What kind of a bad luck sign is this? Will the whole trip be like this? It was only $82 but suddenly it took on great importance.

For some reason I will never understand the stewards make a mistake, decide my horse remains the winner, and my mood brightens considerably. At least I don’t feel the gambling gods are out to get me.

We decide on a light dinner so we go to one of our perennial favorites, the Noodle Shop at Mandalay Bay, always good food and reasonably priced.

Have an hour to kill, so we walk over to Luxor so my wife can play her nickel video WOF machines (Mandalay Bay doesn’t have any). Wife puts in $20 and gets very little play. I play 8/5 JOB, the best VP available at Luxor, and finish up $12.

First day gambling totals: VP +$12, Horse +$82, Wife -$20

Not exactly what you would call high rollers.

Our perks from THEhotel this trip included passes to the Foundation Room. Having never been there we decided to make this one of our “new things” this trip. We decided to go on Sunday because we know they are open to the public on Monday, and are always very crowded then. We went up a little after 9pm for a drink, only a few people were there at that time. It’s a very nice large lounge, much more comfortable and quiet than you would expect. The bartender suggested we check out the private rooms, especially the “Buddha Room”. Quite a place and well worth seeing.

But the real reason to visit the Foundation Room is the view. Because of the angle and location of MB this is the best view of the strip there is. It is truly spectacular from the outside patio, without glass to obscure your view.

As it got later the crowds got a little larger, everyone heading outside for the view.

Met a number of nice people and ended up spending almost 3 hours there.

If the opportunity ever presents itself, I strongly recommend a visit to the Foundation Room.

Interesting thing about our bill the 1st night. We had the following charges to our room: Border Grill $59.45, Pool Bar $27.00 & Noodle Shop $38.06. As part of our room offer we were to receive a $35 dining credit. It was applied this way:

Border Grill $59.45

Pool Bar $5.66

Noodle Shop $24.40

I have no idea why they didn’t deduct the $35 from Border Grill, or take it all from the Noodle Shop. I didn’t really care, but thought it was kind of strange.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

MONDAY 3rd: A little windy today, so the pool is not an option this morning. Down to THEcafe for breakfast. Nice quiet place in the morning, similar to Raffles with a slightly smaller menu, but better service. Typical breakfast $31.

Wife had an appointment at the Bathhouse for a massage at noon, so she went down around 10:30 and I headed to the poker room. I spent 2 and ½ hours at the $4-$8 game without much exciting happening as evidenced by my $21 profit.

Do have a comment about MB game, however. Had not played in this game in a year, and it has changed. It used to be the minimum bet before the flop was $4 it is now $2. Those who play poker know this changes the game dramatically. Always thought this was one of the best games in town, but will not play there again.

For those interested in spas, my wife has now been to both THEhotel’s and Wynn’s and will be happy to answer questions about them.

Next headed down to TI for the 2:00pm meet. This was our 1st meet and will not be our last. The Breeze Bar was a nice location, it was enjoyable meeting some of the board members. Big thanks to Money for making the arrangements.

Left around 4pm to do some shopping. Getting around on the strip has always been fun. Take the tram from TI to Mirage, walk to Bellagio. Check out the Conservatory, then tram to Monte Carlo. Short walk. by Vegas standards, to ESPN Zone at NYNY. Pick up some gifts for our grandsons using the coupons we picked up last month.

Then across the street to the M&M store. Bought over 10lbs (not a typo) of M&Ms. Never thought I would have to use a credit card just to buy M&M’s ($62).

Apparently, the new Mega M&Ms aren’t available in California yet, and our family knew we were going to Vegas.

Bags now getting really heavy, Thank god for the tram from Excalibur to MB.

No plans for dinner, so we thought we’d try the Burger Bar (another 1st). We got a booth, nice on Monday night because every booth has it’s own small TV and MNF was on. This is a good burger, and though a little expensive, worth the price. Being able to have practically anything on it is a nice plus. Sweet potato fries were quite good. 2 burgers, fries and ice teas were $32.

A little VP (nothing exciting) at Luxor, and then time to call it a night. On our way back, we stumbled across some special edition nickel video WOF machines at MB that we had missed. My $20 went very quickly, but my wife got a couple small payouts and lasted awhile putting maybe $70 coin in (will get to this later).

California Hot...
Level Contributor
801 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

Am I to understand you are telling us about an October 2005 TR??

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

TUESDAY 4th: Going to be switching hotels today. I really hate doing this, but my wife wanted to fit in a couple of days at THEhotel to use the MB lazy river.

Went down to the One Club around 8am and asked that our comp dollars be applied to our bill. Our account had 171 comp dollars in it before we got there and some cash back, which we didn’t take. Our huge play at Mandalay Bay (remember the nickel WOF the night before) added a whopping $2.

And you think you’re a low roller!

Because we were moving in a couple of hours, we decided to skip the pool (see it does change your trip!) and went to the MB buffet for breakfast. IMO Mandalay Bay has the most underrated breakfast buffet on the strip. The room itself is the nicest in the morning with plenty of sun. The food is always fresh with a good selection. Not exotic, but always top quality, and a good value at $12.25.

Checked our bill and found that they had just removed the last nights charge ($174.35 with tax) using our comp dollars.

Couple of minor differences we noticed from our last stay at THEhotel. The living room did not have the artificial bowl of cherries on the coffee table (my wife missed this).

THEhotel used to have a policy that the maid’s cleaning carts were never left in the hallway, they always brought them into the rooms so the hall was clear. This has changed and it does make a difference.

4. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 21:35
5. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

6. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

Is this a trip report from 2005??

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

Yes. I tried to make that clear, as I knew some of the information would be out of date.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

Just curious, it's 8 years later, how do you remember all the details?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,075 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR Oct 2005 A Meet, Puppet Sex, and Sumo Wrestlers

"Just curious, it's 8 years later, how do you remember all the details?"

I can't. I wrote the report after the trip in 2005. But I wasn't posting on TA then.

That's why I want it posted here, so I can look back on it later if I choose.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 06:37