We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas with kids

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
211 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas with kids

Hi we will be travelling to the USA from Aus next year. We have three children 9, 6 & 4 and was wondering if it's worth taking them to Vegas.... Is there anything for kids to do there? For me I would hate to go all that way and not see Las Vegas but if it's really not suitable for the kids we may try somewhere else. So far we are thinking Anaheim, LA and San Diego and only have two weeks.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,192 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas with kids

You will get lots of replies saying Las Vegas is not the place for kids - it is generally considered to be an adult vacation location and kids attractions are limited.

Others will say a visit with kids can be done but it will restrict the adult activity you can undertake together such as drinking/gambling.

Personally I think 3 kids would be happier in Disneyland (Anaheim) but that's a personal opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
770 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas with kids

I'm heading out for popcorn if anyone wants any?

But kjt313 it would be worth doing a search through previous threads on this. Personally I don't see the harm in taking children for a short break in Vegas as as part of a longer trip to the USA, but there are better options including Disneyland

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas with kids

In my honest opinion, I cannot imagine taking 3 kids those ages to Vegas. Others will tell you different and they are entitled to their opinions. However, I doubt anyone can dispute that there are much more kid friendly options out there.

That said, I would choose a destination that was designed with small children in mind, Vegas is not one of them.

Mentioned in this post
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,448 posts
2,107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas with kids

Consider San Francisco as well as part of your plans if you do not want to go to Vegas. If you do go, look for maybe going two nights allowing you to experience the place. There are hotels such as NYNY, Paris which tend to be good value and kids will like. NYNY has a coaster. You can also use Vegas to do outlet shopping.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas with kids

I would say go for it. It wont be same experience but travelling all that way you may as well see the place. Ive done it both, with and without but I intend to visit without next time.

If they ever do ban kids at LV can we ban adults without kids at Disney?

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas with kids

As llong as you go to Vegas and do it with the kids enjoyment in mind you will have a great time. There are many things to do for kids in Vegas. If you do decide to go ,come back here for many ideas of things to do for the kids. I was just in Vegas and saw quite a few kids and none were a bother for me at all. have fun

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,200 posts
1,352 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas with kids

I would not regard Las Vegas as a prime tourist destination with young children. For a two week trip, LA has much more to offer.

Mentioned in this post
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,257 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas with kids

Two weeks is too long for any of the places you list. You will have time to visit several locations. Certainly Anaheim and Disneyland needs to be on the list. You could start in San Francisco and work your way down the coast ending in San Diego. You might want to do a couple of nights in Vegas if you are using it as a base or a stopover if you want to see some of the National Parks like Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, etc.

Will you have your own rental car or did you plan on flying from place to place?

Edited: 02 January 2014, 13:43
Mentioned in this post
Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas with kids

I agree. See the neon lights and then use Vegas as a place to stay while you see things like Red Rock Canyon, the Valley of Fire, etc. Look at things in Vegas like the Neon Museum and let the kids see the Mirage Volcano and that sort of thing but please don't drag them up and down the strip at all hours of the night...that works or no one!

Mentioned in this post
Valley of Fire State Park
Valley of Fire State Park
3,598 Reviews
Overton, NV
The Neon Museum
The Neon Museum
3,826 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Mirage Volcano
Mirage Volcano
5,301 Reviews
Las Vegas, NV
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,571 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas with kids

When we were in Vegas this week, I was very surprised/shocked by the number of kids there. I imagined it was the week between Christmas and New Years so many families made Vegas part of their family vacation. While I expected Vegas to be a kid-free locale, there were tons of kids: from infants, toddlers, grade school kids, to kids in high school. Seeing so many kids was a head scratcher: Huh??

Mentioned in this post