We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question for solo travellers

milton keynes
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
question for solo travellers

hey guys hope some people here can share their experiences with me.

i keep thinking about a trip to Vegas & would be a solo trip as I still have some holiday left to take this year and I haven't been on holiday for ages and Vegas has always been somewhere I've wanted to visit.

I have been to New York solo before so travelling alone is something I have done before

what I would like to know is what is Vegas like for the solo traveller? if anyone has been alone before I'd love to hear your experiences :)

thanks for reading and looking forward to reading your replies

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
1,330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question for solo travellers

I'm sure you would have a great time :)

There are about 40 million visitors to Las Vegas each year, and a significant number are solo travelers.

Crandon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question for solo travellers

There are have been many trip reports by solo travelers of all ages on this forum. You could do a search and get many ideas of things that we do.

I spend my days gambling, walking, relaxing by the pool with a book, visiting attractions, shopping and catching up on movies. If I feel like chatting with someone there is always someone at a nearby machine, table, or bar that is happy to visit with me.

Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
764 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question for solo travellers

Hi MKGirl. I am heading to Vegas for my 4th solo trip this May. I love it. Never had any issues, always felt safe and had a great time! If you can handle New York solo then Vegas will be a breeze. Is there anything in particular you want to know?

Jo

milton keynes
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question for solo travellers

I guess Vegas would be similar in a way to New York in that it was always so busy and so many people around you never really feel unsafe. I was happy walking around New York at 11pm or later and always felt fine.

I know Vegas is a party town so did you ever feel a bit self conscious being by yourself in restaurants or bars etc.. I suppose people are too busy enjoying themselves to worry about what your getting upto. I think I just need to stop talking myself out of booking a trip.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,277 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question for solo travellers

There are thousands of solo travelers at any moment in Las Vegas. It's not a big deal. Business travelers at conventions as well as people who just take a break on their own. They're having a drink at the bar, they're enjoying a meal, they're gambling or going to the spa or shopping....just like everyone else. :)

Washington
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question for solo travellers

Depending on the type of a person you are, it can either be fun or a bummer. Some folks can't stand to go on a trip alone while others love getting away on their own for a change. If you are accustomed to being around your friends as a group, then you might be bored. If your more the type who enjoys having a little piece & freedom to yourself to come, go, & do as/whenever you want, it'll be a fun & enjoyable experience. Everyone has their own definition of fun; it's what you as a person make of it. Some solos will mope & groan while others will always find something that will keep their time fun & occupied.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 13:04
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question for solo travellers

I'm single and always go solo. I manage my time by gambling, sight seeing, taking photos, relaxing at a pool or spa. If I don't feel like being alone I can always meet new friends, iv never met a stranger and can talk to about anyone.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question for solo travellers

I have gone solo 4 times, but I mainly go to just play tons of blackjack. I save the fine dining and shows for trips with the wife. Like a previous poster mentioned, there are many trip reports in this forum from other solo travellers that you can seek out and read more about. The bottom line is that you can just do whatever you want, whenever you want, without having to wait for anyone else. You make the trip however you want it to be. No one to argue with you or complain about your choices. Vegas is a blast whether you are solo or with other people. Just go, enjoy, and don't worry!

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: question for solo travellers

I wouldn't want to do it any other way now, waiting for people,.doing crap you don't want to do, losing them and the likes. Solo all the way for me.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question for solo travellers

I go to Vegas on my own and I think it's one of the most comfortable places to holiday solo. It's so busy and diverse that I never feel remotely self-conscious about being alone and if I do want some company it's very easy to strike up conversation at a bar or a table. And it's so nice not having to compromise about what to do and when. I don't plan anything in advance apart from the occasional restaurant booking or show, but just go where the mood takes me. I wouldn't go on my own in the winter though - I like to while away part of each day at the pool with a book - so my solo trips are taken between May and September.