We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

ireland
Level Contributor
52 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

Can't decide if I should go see it or the Hoover dam?

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

Yes, the South Rim (where GC National Park is) is something everyone should see. But not the West Rim which is closer to Las Vegas. A trip to the South Rim will be a 10-12 hour excursion.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,082 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

"Is Grand Canyon worth seeing" - Only if you want to see one of the natural wonders of the world rather than the man made wonder of Las Vegas. A friend who saw it was unimpressed describing it as a big hole in the ground where I was happy to sit for ages just taking in the views.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

They're both worth to see but are also time consuming.

If you've been in vegas before or are you going more than 4 days, you should go.

If this is your first time then enjoy everything on the strip or downtown first.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

Yes the real GC as SG425 described is worth seeing. The West Rim is a waste of time.

If you have the time a one night stay is the best experience.

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

Im not a scenery person and my wife is,big-time. So she was excited to see the canyon and I thought I'd seen enough pictures to last me the rest of my life. So we compromised somewhat and took a tour to the West Rim because I wanted to do the Skywalk over the canyon. Now,I will admit that the South rim is the most scenic,but I didn't want to spend a whole day to see it. I was quite pleased seeing the West rim as it was,I thought , quite beautiful. But an hour there was all I needed to see. Different strokes I guess. If you're a major scenery person then killing a whole day may be worth it to you. You'll have to answer that for yourself. good luck.

England
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

Nah. Just a big hole in the ground, really.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,713 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

It's definitely worth seeing if you do it right. First thing, south rim is what to see. West, north rim are not the same. Also, it's best to see it around sunrise/sunset, so if you could spend one night nearby you will enjoy it more. In the middle of the day with direct, flat light it is still impressive, but nothing like seeing it at sunset.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 23:38
phx
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

Depends on you. Been here for 19 yrs and never been. I'm sure I will someday but I'm with the same hole in the ground thinking.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

GREAT POST!

Coming all that way- just to be 5 hrs away?

NO. Not worth it. I'm 45 and haven't seen it.

I can go watch a back hoe dig a ditch and just imagine it a little bigger.

What were you looking for in asking this?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Grand Canyon worth seeing?

"I can go watch a back hoe dig a ditch and just imagine it a little bigger."

You have a vivid imagination punkado.

LOL