We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

My wife and I are going to book our FIRST trip to Vegas for March 17th through the 21st next week and I'm not sure which hotel to book. Everyone says it doesn't matter cause you're never in your room but I don't want a dated, run down budget motel room either. I thought I had it pegged to the Flamingo, but then changed to the Trop, and then Monte Carlo, and back to the Flamingo.....every time I start to look I change my mind, so any advice appreciated. Thanks for the help

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,530 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

All of the places you're looking at would fall into the 'budget' category, really. Tropicana has nice rooms. Monte Carlo is a better property than Tropicana, in a slightly better location.

Bally's would be an even better location, with some decent rooms recently renovated.

I'd start by removing Flamingo from consideration.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

I would drop Bally's and Flamingo from your list. Between Trop and MC, Trop has the nicer rooms while MC is in a slightly better location on the Strip.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

I have them ranked: Monte Carlo, Tropicana, Flamingo, Ballys. With Monte Carlo and Tropicana 3 star properties and Flamingo and Ballys 2 star.

Without any other information on which to base a choice, I would recommend them in that order.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

I would only stay in a GO room at Flamingo. And as said MC has a better location over Trop. Ballys is nice, I have been going to LV for 20 years and I am used to the constant construction work, but I would avoid it for now even though I still went to MC twice during their construction out front. I will be there early March as well. By late March they should be nearly finished. I would recommend MC of the 4 but the rooms are getting dated - remodelling has only just started. Have you considered the Mirage?

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

The Mirage is a little out of the price range. Would like to keep flight and hotel under $900 (if possible) flying form OKC or Dallas. The ONLY reason I was considering Flamingo or Bally's was because of location.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

I would take the Monte Carlo. But I am an MGM guy and I like the location of the Monte Carlo being near Aria.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

You might consider Hotel32, which is the 32nd floor of Monte Carlo.

http://www.hotel32lasvegas.com/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

Despite what others are saying, I would say Flamingo. Great location, lots of bargain places on that side of the street with $1 beer and the like. If you want to class it up, go across to Caesars or Bellagio for a while. It's a fun place and I didn't find anything wrong with my Fab Deluxe. In fact I'm staying in a Tab again next weekend.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

Dano-was in your shoes a few wks.ago-usually stay one night on strp(last trip ws harrahs) and 3 nts downtown. this next trip we are traveling with 6-8 other people and didn't think they'd like our choices as they are a bit more nigh maintenance. so looked at Monte Carlo and NYNY-we have a wide spread of ages, 21 thru 62, NYNY sounded best all around, reviews are slightly better than Monte Carlo and around the same price. However I believe the pool area (if important to you or even open by then) is a bit nicer. Guest services upgraded us to a Strip View room at no charge, when I contacted them so, as of now, their service at NYNY seems to be good. Was seriously considering Flamingo due to pool area for the younger ones in our group but the review for that property just are not very good! I also tho still keep going back & forth in my mind but it is paid for already (I can still get a refund) and I think I will leave it as is.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 19:37
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropicana, Monte Carlo, Bally's, or Flamingo

So right now it looks like Monte Carlo is the majority choice. I know that pictures on websites can be deceiving but looking at the Flamingo's website it would appear that their rooms have been updated. Has anyone been recently that would know if that's the case