We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

I already have a west wing room reserved at MGM Grand in June for two nights. I booked it through booking.com with the free cancellation policy.

But today I found the MGM prices have dropped on their own website by around $30 a night.

are there any issues with cancelling the booking.com reservation and booking straight through MGM?

Will it seem strange to the establishment that the same name comes up twice? I've already paid a deposit - which I should get back in full.

I don't want any confusion after 10 hour flight!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

There won't be any confusion, this same scenario happens every day in Vegas. It's always best to deal directly with the hotel, so in your case I would book with MGM first, then cancel the booking .com reservation after you have the new reservation confirmed with MGM.

Now, regarding your room in the west wing. Do yourself a favor and book a "grand king" room in one of the main towers. The price shouldn't be much more and you will be MUCH happier with the room guaranteed. Have a great trip!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,605 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

"are there any issues with cancelling the booking.com reservation and booking straight through MGM?" - None at all as long as your original booking is refundable.

"Will it seem strange to the establishment that the same name comes up twice?" - No

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,598 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

Are you able to cancel with booking.com? Sometimes third party agents have restrictions with cancelations. If you can, I would rebook directly with MGM.

As has already been suggested, have you done you homework in booking a West Wing Room? Some people seem fine with them but others don't like their small size, lack of view, and quirky bathrooms that don't provide much privacy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

thanks a lot guys. i will book it through MGM first and then cancel the booking.com reservation.

i'm in vegas for 48 hours and i'm on my own so the west wing room wasnt much of an issue.

The $30 a night saving includes upgrading to the grand king :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

i've read on this forum cancelling with booking.com with the free cancellation policy is fine. people get their full refund and in some cases their bank fees refunded too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

That MGM promotion "save now pack later" doesnt expire until november. So you have time to cancel the booking.com and rebook with MGM direct.

smartervegas.com/hotels/mgm_grand/promotiona…

Just remember to type the promotion code in when youre on the MGM reservation site and that it actually says "promotion: save now pack later" when youre choosing the dates.

Otherwise youre just choosing from the standard rate calander.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

Yep thats the discount code i used to book my room. brilliant.

i've made resevation. i will cancel the other booking in the next day or so.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 14:48
8. Re: Cancelling and rebooking when finding a cheaper room?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 07:18