We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit cards

wales
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
credit cards

we will be in Vegas in May and will do tours and shows , but will pay with our

credit card, do you have to have ID when using it

Washington
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit cards

I would suspect so, so they can make sure the card wasn't stolen & being abused.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 11:32
London
Level Contributor
784 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit cards

Hi Bonnie. I would always take my driving licence with me as ID. More often than not I was asked for ID when using my Card. Also handy for ID checks in bars and purchasing alcohol. I was asked for ID last year and I'm 40!

Jo

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit cards

They definitely require ID for credit or debit cards. To my knowledge there isn't chip and pin - might have changed - so ID is a good safeguard for you

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit cards

Chip and pin to finally become standard here but not until sometime in 2015.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,471 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit cards

"credit card, do you have to have ID when using it" - Can vary, I've been asked for ID and other times I've not even been asked to sign anything (no chip and pin in the US yet).

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,169 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit cards

Yes you will need ID with the card

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit cards

It's very variable - sometimes they ask for ID, sometimes they don't. I just carry my driving license alongside my credit card so it's always to hand if I do need it.

South Wales, UK.
Level Contributor
375 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: credit cards

I always carry my UK photo driving license for ID, my passport is always in the safe.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit cards

Just a heads up - most credit card companies charge a fee for foreign transactions (mine is 3% and that seems to be pretty standard). Rather than showing this fee on your statement as a separate item, many companies bury it in the exchange rate thus leading many people to think that they're not paying a fee at all.

Now, that's not to say that you shouldn't use your credit card when travelling - I use mine all the time - but you might want to bear this extra fee in mind if you're doing a lot of cc spending.

Also, remember to notify your credit card company of your travel dates. Although it's never happened to me, I've heard many stories of people whose account has been frozen as foreign transactions can be a red flag to cc security departments.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Detroit
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: credit cards

Excellent advice Llisa! I agree that you should let them know of your travel plans. This way the fraud system will not trigger when you have purchases in Vegas.

I personally have a US$ Mastercard so my USA purchases get charged in US$ and avoid the exchange fee. Unfortunately, I don't think our UK friends have that option.