We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Just a little back ground: this was originally planned as a birthday trip for a friend who was turning 40 but she backed out. I very disappointed, I really wanted to go to Vegas. I started looking for tickets for hubby and I instead but they were so expensive. I was planning on buying one and now needed 2. Due to menopause I have trouble sleeping. Lucky for me I was up at 5am when Delta goofed and I got tickets for $66 round trip from Maui! I woke up hubby and told him we were going to Vegas!

Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Feb 5 - our day was finely here. Our flight was at 10:50pm, I checked the web site before we left and everything was on time. We board the plane and I am so excited. After a few minutes, the captain comes on and says that one of the radios is not working and they need to fix it before we can take off. Two hours later, we are still sitting on that hot plane. The captain now tells everyone to exit the plane so back in the airport we go. An hour later at 2am we get back on and take off!! When we get to LAX of course we missed our connecting flight and the next available is not for another 2 1/2 hours. We arrive in Vegas 5 1/2 hours late and get our car at Alamo with no problems.

Our first stop, Trader Joe's! I have a long list since we don't have one at home. Six bottles of cookie butter, as we find out later, those bottles are heavy! Then I wanted to visit a few hotels that I have never been to so it's off to South Point not even in town for an hour and the losing begins and never ended! After a few hours we decide it's time to check in so off to Flamingo.

I had 4 comp nights for a fab room. A friend went to Vegas the week before and encouraged me to get a GO room. I was really nervous about doing the $20 trick but I really wanted to try it. My husband thought I was crazy. We get there and the check in line is long but no one is in the TR line. So we walk right up to the counter. I hand her my license and credit card with the $20. She smilies at me and I ask her if there are any GO rooms available, she checks and asked me if I want 2 queens or 1 king. We both say we don't care but none smoking would be great. She says no problem and hands me keys to 16-102. Wow, the room is excellent. A view of Ceasar's Palace, a tv in the bathroom mirror, huge bathroom, coffee pot and mini fridge. So much for my crazy idea, lol. Hubby is very happy with the room. We unpack then it's off to Orleans and here we go again lose, lose, lose! We have dinner at the buffet, lose a little more then back to Flamingo and it's off to bed. More to come...

Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Feb 6 - we usually do a lot of the same things every trip but this time I really wanted to try new things, so this morning I suggest going to Pepper mill after reading all the great reviews. It's great and we will go back. I had the country ham and he had an omelette. Both were excellent but neither of us finished. We had great server, very nice and friendly. Can't wait to go back. Now, it's off to shopping! I let him go first because his is short and only one store, I will take hours. First stop....Bass Pro! Down the road we go to Target and Kohls. We then head to Primm for lottery tickets. By this time we are starving. My hubby doesn't care about where we eat but he needs to go to Olive Garden at least once every trip. So off we go. I thought the place would be empty since it was 4pm but it's crowded. It's great as usually and we are stuffed! Hubby wants a nap so back to the room we go.

While hubby takes his nap, I walk to Mirage. I redeem a $25 certificate for the Coke store, thanks to MyVegas! I decide to play a little, I find a top dollar machine and have a few good spins but end up losing in the end. I head back to the hotel. I wake hubby up and we head downtown.

Like most people from Hawaii, we love downtown. We check out some light shows and gamble at Fremont, Four Queens an our favorite The Cal. Hubby wins $200 at Fremont playing Gold fish and I wind $200 playing blazin 7 at the Cal. We have dinner at The Cal before heading back to the hotel at 2am. Good night, more tomorrow.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Sounds like you had a win with the air fare and room. Looking forward to the rest.

Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Feb 7 - Today is our strip day. No matter how many times we have been to vegas hubby and I are both crazy about the gardens and the fountains at Bellagio. We head there first, it's all decorated for Chinese New Year and it's the year of the horse. We are just in time for the first fountain show to "Viva Las Vegas", fantastic! We head over to plant Hollywood for brunch and I have a groupon. We waited about 15 min, everything was great and we were stuffed. We decide to walk back to Bellagio and take the tram to Monte Carlo as we got to Bellagio and started walking towards the moving side walk security stopped everyone and had us go all the way around. Fire trucks were there not sure what was going on. We take the tram to Monte Carlo. I was happy we didn't have to walk all the way to the coke store. We stop at Ross, the lines look like the lines at Disneyland. I get a few things while hubby waits in line. We use my coke store certificate from myvegas. Hubby tells me he is going to sit outside well I look around. When I'm done I call him and no answer. I look all over, can't find him. I decide to go to the M and M store. I guess with Valentines day coming up, people want M and M's the store is so packed. I get a few things and get out, I could hardly move. Once again I call hubby and no answer. I walk back to come and no sight of him. As I head back to m and m world, I see him. I asked him where he was and he laughs and says he was inside the water massage beds! We walk over to MGM where I pick up our KA tickets and our monorail passes, thank to myvegas. We take the monorail back to Flamingo, hubby takes a nap and I head to Margaritavile. More to come......

ireland
Level Contributor
768 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Amazing win with the room and air fare. Love that you managed to get that airfare cos you couldn't sleep. And fair play with asking for an upgrade. My husband thought I was mad first time I did it too. Now he's all "are you going to ask for an upgrade"? Not that he'll ask! Lol! Looking forward to reading more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
995 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Great start...love your score with delta. you started your vaca with a HUGE win. I was in Maui during the holidays so i know how much the fares cost. What a score!!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Don't you just love those blazing 7's machines at the Cal? They have a ton of them and they are loose! I have hit my share of $200 and $300 jackpots on em! Nice TR. Looking forward to more!

Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

I am here at Flamingo right now reading this fellow traveler, lol. Nice post. "-"

Wailuku, Hawaii
Level Contributor
855 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

This was my first visit to Margaritaville, loved it. Next time I want to eat there. I played jackpot party and top dollar but lose again. After I while I head back to the room to wake hubby. We take the monorail back to MGM where we have 2 free passes to the buffet and 2 two tickets to KA thanks to myvegas. The buffet was great with cooked to order steaks. We gamble a bit and I put $20 into Mega bucks and after a few spins I have $80 so I take it out! We head over to KA, this is our first Cirqu show. We have seat 4th row from the front. I would have preferred seats much higher up. We felt like we missed a lot as the actors were in the back of us and on the side. The show was good but it dragged on a little, once was enough. After the show we play a little more and call it a night.

Michigan
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR - Lose, Buffets, Lose, Shows, Lose...LOL!

Nice TR so far. I'm enjoying the read. I'm pea green with envy at your score on the air fare! Way to go!!! Looking forward to reading more! :-)