We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using other sources to get airline tickets

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Using other sources to get airline tickets

I am looking at a trip out to vegas in April, in all of my time flying I have always purchased my tickets directly from the airline, as they always seem to have the best price or equal to sites like Priceline. Well this time I have found that Priceline actually has the exact same ticket about $20 less. My question is how does priceline or those other type sites work? How can they have cheaper prices and has anyone had a problem going through them to get their airline tickets?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

IMHO~ I would purchase my ticket direct from the airline, not worth the $20.00 savings, if there is an issue, you then have to deal with a third party, not the airline directly...Many of these third party web sites also add service charges and/or fees on the last screen, when you buy/book your tickets, which negates any real savings. Good Luck and enjoy your trip!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

The business model is pretty simple---they are resellers, just like Macys. They buy a tciket at one price and sell it to you at a higher price, keeping the profit.

They often look for the cheapest prices, so flights may not be direct or non-stop, and many of their flights will be at times when most may not want to fly.

'Personally I don't use 3rd parties----and I wouldn't even consider it for a savings of only $20. I haven't learned all that much about business, but I have learned: Everyone who touches any service or product makes a profit (and they are entitled) and the more people who touch ANYTHING the greater the chance of something going wrong.

Good Luck.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

Priceline does work, but your times and stops will not be the best. If you are willing to leave at midnight with a stop in Houston, go for it.

We have a friend who lives in Hawaii who uses priceline all the time to get over for visits

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

Priceline is like Orbitz or Expedia, you can buy that EXACT ticket sometimes for less. Note, if its like Frontier, you will get extra charges for not buying direct when you fly(like carryone)

Edited: 14 February 2014, 19:48
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

As of right now the tix on priceline for Frontier are the exact same tix as on frontier, all their times and such. Just a difference in price...

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

No way!! Not for $20

You probably know if all goes well the Priceline ticket will probably be OK. But, when something goes wrong and you need to call PL.....you'd hate that $20 bill.

I have and am currently using PL for hotels but never for airfare. Never, no way!

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

It sounds like you're looking at the 'other' Priceline, which you can pick everything (unlike the regular priceline where you don't know anything until after you pay).

It's quite possible there are plenty of seats open for this flight, so they permitted Priceline to sell them at a discount. I've seen that on Expedia before as well.

The biggest issue with Priceline would be you won't have an assigned seat until you check in at the airport, so your party may be split up.

If you can choose your seat, there's probably no real downside, other than not dealing with the airline directly. If the flight is cancelled or the airline somehow has an issue, I'm pretty sure the airline agents at the airport would assist you just like any other customer.

It's only $20...not a huge savings, but you probably won't have any real issues either if you decide to go with it (a hotel stay is a different story, and those people would probably give you the dumpster view).

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

Are the bag and carry-on fees the same? Frontier charges for a carry-on if booked on 3rd party sites don't they?

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

I might be wrong, but do not think you will get any discount on airfares on any other site than priceline/hotwire or a site where they pick your flight.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using other sources to get airline tickets

Ive done PL with airfare, and once even had a snafu. PL corrected it quicker than any airline has. Ive also had very good luck bidding for airfare as well