We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
224 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

We are arriving in LV on a Saturday evening, and leaving early Friday morning(6 nights, 5 days). The plan has been to hire a car and drive down, stay a night at the national park, and drive back the next day. This will effectively take two whole days of our stay.

So the question is, would you recommend doing the GC? or is it taking up too much of my Vegas time? I know it will really depend on personal preferences, but some feedback would be nice.

We are a couple in our early forties, Not huge gamblers, but will probably spend a reasonable amount of time gambling, drinking, shows, etc.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

There is plenty to do in Vegas to keep your busy for your trip, IMHO. Vegas is one of the few places where I never end up getting bored. However, you're coming a long ways. The grand canyon is spectacular and your plan of driving and spending a night is right on the money. Do try to book a room in the park as those book solid for popular times. That may be a determining factor, though you can try calling (not web site, not email, call) and catch a cancellation if you can't find anything on a date that works for you. So, if you're willing to give up two days and this is the sort of thing you like I would say go for it.

If you do, I would get up early and drive straight there. Nothing along the way (Hoover Dam, Seligman, etc.) compares to the GCNP. If you get your fill that first day, then head back early enough to stop on your way back. I'll bet you don't, and get back to Vegas very late the next day.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

Second the fact I never get bored in Vegas, after 100+ trips. But, you do have time but I too would suggest what Wheatie says

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

GCNP is something everyone should see once in their lifetime. That said, I feel that once is enough unlike some who feel they need to see it every year which I have never really understood.

It's up to you, 6 days and 5 nights is not a long time in Vegas considering how far you are traveling and it will go by very quick. If this is likely to be the only time you will be visiting in the foreseeable future then I think taking the time to see the GC is a good call.

However, If this is a trip that you make over and over then I might save the GC for a longer trip. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
1,338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

I suggest you consider putting aside GCNP for another trip.

Las Vegas is likely to offer a realm of compelling attractions in the time you have available.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,232 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

You're not gamblers. You have 6 nights. You're coming halfway around the world. Now if you're the type of travelers who think you'll be back in the area again in a year or two or whatever, then Las Vegas is enough. If this is more of a "who knows if we'll ever get back this way again", go for the Grand Canyon.

Worst case scenario is you get there and shrug, have a couple drinks in the hotel bar, and you're back in LV the next day by Noon with an early start. But I think there's a far better chance you'll be awed by the place.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

We had the same dilemma. We are arriving on a Friday evening and departing the following Friday. We decided to hit the Grand Canyon first. Will be driving probably to Kingston from the plane, finishing the drive in the morning. Staying in the park on Saturday night and heading back to hotel in Vegas on Sunday. My thought for you would be similar. Head to Kingston on Saturday evening. Finish drive to GC on Sunday. Spend the day and head back towards LV Sunday afternoon/vening. From there you could either stop in Kingston again and hit the Hoover dam on the way back on Monday or drive all the way to LV Sunday evening. Either way, you would miss the higher hotel prices in LV for Sat evening and be able to relax and enjoy LV for the rest of your stay once you arrive. For us, going to GC at the beginning seemed to make the most sense so we could really settle in once we got LV. Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

It's Kingman, not Kingston ;-) definitely add Grand Canyon NP to your trip, one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. 4 days Vegas already is too long for us.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

LOL, sorry, it's early, we have a Kingston not far from where I live, guess it just came out that way. Thanks for letting me know.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

Both LV and the GC are wonderful places - for completely different reasons, of course.

If you can see yourself returning to west coast USA in the not-too-distant, give the GC a miss this time and just enjoy Vegas - heaps to do in the time you have.

If you're not sure whether you will return, may I suggest you take a punt that you will - because nearly all of us do. The US is addictive, as you'll find - bet you start making plans to return as soon as you get home.

But if you can't see yourself returning (highly unlikely, as indicated), you'll have to do the GC this time. And if you do, you really need to do it over two days/one night.

Hire a car and head off reasonably early in the morning - it's a five hour drive direct, so you have time to stop off at Hoover Dam (very interesting), and at Seligman and Williams (quirky little towns on Route 66) en route.

Book in (beforehand) at one of the GC lodges .... http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/

This will allow you to see the canyon at sunset and at sunrise, when it's at its very best.

Have a good look around up until noon, and then head back to Vegas - you'll be back in time for dinner.

The GC is simply stunning - it's an experience you'll never forget.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,657 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Enough time to drive to Grand Canyon?

You may very well have trouble finding accommodations within the Park as they fill very early on. We have stayed in Kingman for that reason as well - but do look for accommodations in advance as Kingman has been known to fill up too. Never go to the Grand Canyon area without a place to stay already booked. .