We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long in Vegas

south wales
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
How long in Vegas

Hi

I plan to visit Las Vegas as the last stop of a multi-centre holiday which starts in San Francisco and we will also visit LA/Anaheim. We are Mum, daughter (22)and son (25). We will not be driving and plan to stay on the strip.

My question is how long do we need to see the basics of Las Vegas. We plan to take a trip to the Grand Canyon and want to see the sights in the hotels and enjoy some great meals. We may play slot machines once or twice but are not really interested in gambling.

I know this is a very broad and subjective question but this is probably the only time we will get to Vegas. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Angela

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long in Vegas

Hi

I think you should think about a 5 night stay. If you choose sun thru Thur the prices on the strip will be lower. More time is always good there, as there is a lot to see. For booking your hotels use www.smartervegas.com for deals.

Clive

Edited: 23 February 2014, 14:10
Amherst, Virginia
Level Contributor
132 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long in Vegas

I have been 3 times. The first time was for 6 nights, while my wife was in a conference.... we both felt that was too long.

Next 2 times were for 3 nights with 3 full days. That was sufficient, but we didnt leave the strip. If you are going to Hoover Dam, maybe an extra day, but 3 nights still may be enough. We go in the summer, so our days are spent poolside (or wife at spa), and evenings gambling or at a show...

We are going this summer and staying a 4th night, and that is as long as i want to be there. Hope that helps...

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long in Vegas

This is a question that always has diverse, but predictable responses. In general, many folks from Europe and the UK think that 2 weeks is too short of a stay, although in many of those instances Vegas is their sole destination. Most folks from the States usually recommend shorter stays. As you describe it, 3 or 4 nights will probably work well for you.

Edited: 23 February 2014, 14:16
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long in Vegas

We were there for 6 nights on our first trip last year and it wasn't too long for us.

We spent time seeing lots of the hotels and eating, drinking and gambling a bit in each. We went to Secret Garden and MB aquarium.

This year we are returning and staying for 4 nights which is starting to look a little short.

Work through what you plan doing and see how many days and nights that takes then add 1 or 2 for just wandering around and sight-seeing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long in Vegas

I'd agree with 5 days. 3 for the strip - you can use one day to explore each area (north, mid, south) to make it easier. You could probably condense this into 2 if you don't mind missing going into some hotels. I'd then add another night for the canyon trip, staying overnight in the national park is best if you can. And if you really can't see yourself going back, I'd add another night for downtown as I think everyone should see "old Vegas" at least once. Downtown is best to visit for an evening, so that day could be a pool and/or spa day depending on what time of year you're going.

BTW, when planning my first trip to Vegas, I thought it would be a one time deal as well as we don't gamble at all outside of our trips there. But that was a decade ago now and I still have to have a really good reason to go anywhere else over it. So you may get hooked. :)

south wales
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long in Vegas

Thanks for all your replies. I had thought 5 nights would be about right too. Lolly B - I would love to stay overnight at GC but we don't drive and the overnight trips are horribly expensive. Is Downtown where Fremont Street is?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long in Vegas

3 nights 4 days maximum. These Brits that book and stay for 10-14 nights are insane. Talk about sensory overload!

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long in Vegas

Downtown is where Fremont Street is; you'll want to check out the downtown and if you are there in the evening you can see the light show on Fremont. A zip line also runs along Fremont now if you or your kids want a bit more of a rush. If you make it downtown, I think Main Street Station has the best buffet (off Fremont, but still in the touristy part of downtown.

I go to Vegas two or three times a year, and have taken non-gamblers with me several times. If you are going during pool season and all enjoy spending time by the pool, five days will probably be okay (including the day you go the Grand Canyon; I assume you are doing a helicopter tour because the Grand Canyon is not a realistic day driving trip from Vegas if you actually want any time in the Canyon). Although my husband and I gamble, see shows, shop and enjoy just walking around, we usually find four full days at a time is enough for us.

Enjoy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long in Vegas

Aussies too. 14 nights in Vegas? Kriky!! (sp)? LOL!

Edited: 23 February 2014, 17:46
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,526 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long in Vegas

Three days on the Strip, one day off-Strip and Fremont Street, two days (1night) Grand Canyon.