We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
968 posts
Save Topic
Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

I have a trip planned for April. It will be Friday through Tuesday. Other than SW and the hotels and now you folks nobody else knows. I plan to tell my parents and almost grown kids the day before I go. Anyone else take "secret" trips to Vegas? or do I have issues? lol

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,565 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,032 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

You don't have issues, is pretty normal not telling people about trips. I do that sometimes and tell people days before or even the day before the trip. I particularly don't like when people start throwing opinions that were not asked, or when they try to tag along

ny
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

I take it the parents and almost grown kids arent joining you? Well if they do not depend on you for anything during that time frame - i guess its ok, but why not just tell them? Whats the big deal

As for "secret trip" - I am going in a few weeks and havent told like my job where I am going but my family adn friends know - guess i am not following your logic

Are you afraid they will disapprove? Want to come along?

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
968 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

Janedoeny....I think you have given it more thought than I....lol....I booked this trip in December and just have not told anyone.....and really just realized it on a conversation with someone. I need to put in my vacation at work request also.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 20:42
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

We are going with my brother, sister-in-law and 2 grown sons at the end of August (Labor Day weekend and week) and I was talking to a girlfriend about it. Her first reaction was "Oh maybe I'll come with you guys". I wasn't inviting her and was sorry I ever mentioned it to her. I love her as a friend, but she will be hanging on to me and my husband for the whole trip, and even though we are going with family I know there will be times that we will be on our own which we like. Needless to say I haven't mentioned it in front of her again.

With that said, I can understand why you may not want anyone to know you are going.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

My wife used to say to me on a Friday evening "let's go to Vegas tonight." If we had no other plans, we would pack a bag and hit the road. Three hours later, near Baker (CA., about 90 miles out from Vegas), she would call one of our hosts and say "We'll be there in an hour or so, can you get us a room?"

That was our usual M.O., never telling anybody.

Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

You have to do what's best for you. Every year on my birthday, I do a solo vacation. I've been in your situation, and people tried to invite themselves. I keep pretty quiet about accommodations and people usually find out when I post stuff on facebook LOL.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
544 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

I wish I hadn't told anyone (other than mom, she's watching the kid and the dog for me)... I'm going on a SOLO trip next month and already 2 people have invited themselves to go along after I had explained how excited I was to get away all by myself lol. I'm hoping they'll forget when I'm going/not get the time off work/ not have the money.. something.

8. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 21:58
Bristol, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

We specifically don't tell some of our family because they think we should be giving them our money instead or that we should take them along. They're so quick to judge how we spend our money, it's best just not to tell them at all.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone heading to Vegas.....And nobody else knows?

I only tell the bare minimum people. We have gone 9 times in the last 3.5 years. We have so much fun and it is down time for my husband. Anyway, people in our family/ circle are a little judge mental and feel we are going too much. I just go sick of trying to justify it to people. It really is none of their business.