We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to tip and where?!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
797 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
what to tip and where?!

I have a few questions all related to tipping. my assumption is to tip a waitress a dollar a drink. Cab drivers I tend to round up to the nearest 5 dollar bill. So if bill is $12 I pay $15 if its 18 I pay 20 and so forth. yes that tends to work out better sometimes and not as good sometimes but having worked in the service industry for years in the city I live in the one person who never ever ever tips is a cab driver. you'll be hard pressed to find a waitress or bartender in the city I live in willing to tip a cab driver for that reason.

that being said, I understand Vegas is a different city. so my question is who do i tip, how much do I tip, and when do I tip? I work at a hotel and many times the first thing a guest will ask me at check in is what is the customary tip in this city. Since the manager on duty doesn't tend to get tips I never know what to answer (as i dont get them) where I work let alone anywhere else. so do you tip the maids, and if so when? Everyday, at the end of your stay where do you put it? I normally leave a $20 on my bed at checkout regardless of how many days I stay. Is that ok in Vegas?

Other than waiters, cabbies and maids, do I tip anyone else?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: what to tip and where?!

"And if you don't tip at all? Well, that's not the done thing. A tip is expected."

And therein lies the problem.. a constant stream of hands stretched out in anticipation. We go to the USA to relax and spend our money, not give it away for the sake of it. I've said before that I tip (only 2 trips to the USA so far, mind you), so that's not the issue. It's the expectation. Every person in the industry (or so it seems) is on the mooch for a tip.

As a few have pointed out here, if only the employers paid the proper full wage.. then the workers would see their tips as a bonus, not as a necessity to boost their meagre wage.

And to those who are hurling insults at us for voicing our opinions, I say this - feel free to get a passport and visit our nations. You'll be surprised by the lack of mooching and you will enjoy your holiday even more. You'll also only tip when it's truly deserved and not just because some guy on the internet said you have to, even though there's no law saying otherwise.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,254 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: what to tip and where?!

"The plus to customers would be that they would not have to worry about how much to tip"

i dont' worry about that now. :)

Horseheads, New York
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
73. Re: what to tip and where?!

cromansydney

re: Your post #62. Don't worry about getting it wrong, the great thing is that you can't get it wrong. The reason that even the Americans disagree amongst themselves is that there is no right answer. Do yourself a favor and don't read tipping threads. Just go to Vegas and enjoy yourself, tip whatever you want in whatever situation you want and enjoy your vacation.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
769 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: what to tip and where?!

So True Irish Fan.....when in Rome...do as the Romans do. I myself don't drink any more but still my water or diet coke is important and I tip..I want them to come back often and feel better when I take care of them. Being in the hotel business I know how hard they work. In many states server's get $2.13 an hour. And for giving excellent service to their guests they have a chance to support their family. Without tips, oh my.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
769 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: what to tip and where?!

Davey I am keenly interested in how the service industry works in the UK. Can you educate me on servers/bartenders wages and how tipping works? I am not up on it and would truly like to learn how my friends across the pond deal with tipping. I know it some countries tipping/gratuities are forced upon guests (already included in the bill--which I do not agree with what soever) but many times the 'house' gets those monies, not the worker themselves. I look very forward to learning about customs where you live. Thanks!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
769 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: what to tip and where?!

Polish Jinx...cute name. I totally agree with you on NOT tipping for poor service. A tip is to say you appreciate being well taken care of. If they give poor service I don't think they should be rewarded. How does tipping/service industry work in Canada? Very interested in learning! I can share with my staff; thanks in advance!

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: what to tip and where?!

Davey, look at it this way. That meal you are eating, since the servers are paid less, costs you less than it would back in Liverpool. If it is brought to you in a normal manner then a tip leaves you paying about what you'd pay at home no?

I go to Vegas a lot and know lots of service people. Without exception, every one has stories about the absurdly high bar that some of the Commenwealth's visitors use to justify even a 10% tip. They love New Yorkers by the way.

My wife's second job for years was waiting tables. I have travelled my fair share to the UK and the continent, so my opinion is not without experience, and the saying "when in Rome etc...." applies everywhere and is always excellent advice.

Also it is my experience that service in the US is way better than over there. For whatever reason.

By the way, how much do you tip housekeeping?

Province of...
Level Contributor
382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: what to tip and where?!

Sheila,

As an American that has lived in Europe for ten years (England for 5), I think I can help you understand. Service industry workers in the UK get paid a normal wage...one that compensates them for the job's requirements. Just as an accountant, or any other job would. Therefore tipping a bartender is akin to tipping your secretary for spell checking a document. Its just not necessary because they are doing the job they are already paid to do.

Certainly most could understand that it's hard for Brits and others from Europe to get used to the custom of tipping for a service that they perceive as already paid for in the price of the service.

I find it funny and ironic that most Americans cant understand why Europeans cant lose this thought process. Yet these are the same Americans that cant take their own advice about fitting in and lose the jean shorts, tube socks, and fanny packs when they're abroad.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 20:44
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
769 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: what to tip and where?!

Iluvmycharger...you say you don't eat in restaurants anymore on your last 20 trips to vegas? How do you manage not to eat in restaurants? Just curious my midwest neighbor?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
797 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: what to tip and where?!

I lived inNew York for years, and the truth is I don't notice much difference in the way we tip in restaraunts. I would say that the low wage Americans get does impact customer service. American customer service and restaurants is far far far superior to customer service and restaurants in Canada. Not 100 percent of the time but I think good 80 percent of the time. It is much much more rare to get bad service in the USA did it is to get bad service here.I would say in the United States 1 out of 20 restaurants I would get bad service maybe. And it might not even be that much. Here I would say 1out of 5.I think the difference is here the people get the same which day would get working in say a clothing store. They aren't working for the tip. That being said we do expect them as servers. I work as a bartender once a week and trust me I know exactly which person didn't tip me and I will serve them last when there is a rush by the bar.that being said, I give good customer service unless I expect a tip. I think the big difference here is that tips tend to be focused on waitresses and bartenders. it seems much less common for Canadians to tip delivery people or to tip say the hotel maid. Its not that no one does, Just not as common.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 21:32