We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to tip and where?!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
797 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
what to tip and where?!

I have a few questions all related to tipping. my assumption is to tip a waitress a dollar a drink. Cab drivers I tend to round up to the nearest 5 dollar bill. So if bill is $12 I pay $15 if its 18 I pay 20 and so forth. yes that tends to work out better sometimes and not as good sometimes but having worked in the service industry for years in the city I live in the one person who never ever ever tips is a cab driver. you'll be hard pressed to find a waitress or bartender in the city I live in willing to tip a cab driver for that reason.

that being said, I understand Vegas is a different city. so my question is who do i tip, how much do I tip, and when do I tip? I work at a hotel and many times the first thing a guest will ask me at check in is what is the customary tip in this city. Since the manager on duty doesn't tend to get tips I never know what to answer (as i dont get them) where I work let alone anywhere else. so do you tip the maids, and if so when? Everyday, at the end of your stay where do you put it? I normally leave a $20 on my bed at checkout regardless of how many days I stay. Is that ok in Vegas?

Other than waiters, cabbies and maids, do I tip anyone else?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
797 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
91. Re: what to tip and where?!

As much as I feel for a person making $3 an hour it seems it does increase the level of service. I know here, I can make $400 in a night on tips. And I make a good wage on top of that. I wonder how our service levels overall would change if our wage became as meesly/absurd as some Americans. I know I'd still be making $400 in tips for a 6 hour shift.

I hope these bartenders/waitresses/barbacks make a good end wage after tip. But overall, service through out the USA is heads above my experiences with service in Canada and Israel. And that's an overall generalization. I'm not saying we get bad service.

92. Re: what to tip and where?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 16:05
Edited: 25 March 2014, 16:05
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: what to tip and where?!

Nobody is bashing Americans, everyone on here including us Brits have said they tip, it's just that to us it's strange that you should tip someone for opening a door or hailing a cab.

I have only ever been once to the US (New York) and followed all the rules like Restuarants and Bars and Taxis.

My usual holiday is All Inclusive to the Carribean and although everything in resort is free I will still give the Barman and waitresses a tip of a couple of quid every few drinks as these guys work hard and it's nice to be nice.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
838 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
94. Re: what to tip and where?!

Well said cnnroma, pretty much sums it up. Especially the second paragraph. If you make minimum wage in the US, you likely deserve minimum wage. The LV Strip cocktail waitresses make north of 80k per year, Many have college degrees but cont to waitress bc it simply pays more than their professional degree.

I tend to tip heavy (especially on vacation) because i appreciate good service and it feels good to tip. I have bar tended through grad school and appreciated the %20 tippers but never expected it. Like someone on here said," it all evens out in the end. "

BTW, I have a hard time tipping the cab stand guy too. He (and it always seems to be a he) just waves his hand and opens the cab door, not sure that warrants cash but Im told he makes a killing on tips. I get the frustration in tipping everyone for everything. The posters original question is a legit question. If I were from another country, I would find it confusing too. Hope in the middle of the wage debate there were some satisfying and informative answers. For my two cents, I tip waitstaff, maid service, cab drivers, dealers when i win, and baggage handlers etc. I tend not to tip fast food service, store clerks etc.

Edited: 25 March 2014, 10:52
95. Re: what to tip and where?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 04:15