We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,209 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Our flight home via Southwest on May 15th is currently priced at $243. To my recollection I have never seen a flight this expensive more than 30 days in advance.

To put this in context: Of the 19 flights home that day, the next most expensive is $157, although the flight after ours now shows Sold Out. There are still many flights listed at $92, and these will probably go down in price next Tuesday.

BTW: We are booked at $56, and I was hoping the price might even go down. lol

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
553 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Wow! That is super expensive! I've always wondered if SW keeps tabs on what destinations/travel times are being looked at the most and then raise the price due to popularity? For instance - I know when I was looking at fares for SF - I looked for a few times before I decided to bite the bullet. After the 3rd time, the price was higher - almost as if SW said "that seems like a popular flight - lets make more money"? Don't get me wrong - I have nothing but Luv for Southwest and use them anytime we can - but just like any business with a hot item - they'll increase cost to generate more revenue when they know it's in demand... ?? dunno - it's Friday so random thoughts are a plenty today...

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Gina: When searching for travel prices (including) Southwest, in addition to prices of many other goods and services, it is best to clear your cookies often. I do this on a daily basis. I also check prices using different devices.

You are right in that Southwest may show different prices to different people, and certainly uses interest in particular flights to their advantage.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Way back in the days before the internet, I was trying to book a flight for my wife to fly from ORD to LIT on United. After calling and getting the price, I verified the date and time with her before calling back to book the flight. In a matter of a few hours, the flight had jumped about $80. I made a quick call to a friend of mine that worked for United and asked him what the deal was. He then explained to me how they only have a certain number of seats for each of the different fare levels, and once those are taken, the price jumps to the next level. A real eye opener! Of course, I simply picked a different flight to get the lower price.

I would imagine that this is still how most, if not all airlines still price their seats.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Ken- ha...lucky you, in a way.

Wife and I just made a last minute decision to go 4-11thru 14th. I'll be in the desert, and drive up to pick her up on the late plane from Sacramento.

Now, yesterday was 15 days advance right?

$295.00 on SWA. actually 279.00 base fare, I said to hell with it and got her business upgrade to 295.00

She gets one of the first 15 seats and a free drink for the extra 16.00 ....lets hope it a bottle of Dom

Kind of kills our inexpensive three nights at Luxor.....

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

We booked SWA from Burbank for $66, a week later I looked for a friend and it was $127.

And yes I cleared my cookies.

Omaha, Nebraska
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
8,357 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Within the last year, I am having sticker shock on flights EVERYWHERE. Being in the midwest, flights have been $200-300 RT just about anywhere in the 48. Vegas we often caught some for $150-175RT.

In the last year, $300-350 has become the new normal lowest price for Vegas. And $500 for Florida bound flights--OUCH. Glad we were able to take the family for a few years; this prices us out of family trips with a flight.

Having to drive to KC for MUCH cheaper tickets for college visits ($200RT); almost 90 min to Omaha airport, about 2.5 hours to KC--worth it if there are several of us.

Funny, for a few years swa was the cheapest, then the last few other airlines have been cheaper, now swa is nearly always the cheapest--without even factoring in luggage.

Even Allegiant isn't much less than SWA now that they charge for carryons and checked bags.

Friend & I are headed back in October--I insisted we book as soon as dates open ($350RT) to get the nonstop flights we want at possibly the lowest price we will see. I can always bank the credits if it goes down (guessing not over Columbus day weekend; grabbed our rooms early, too & they have done nothing but go up; $250 for 5 nts was good)

Edited: 28 March 2014, 16:19
philly
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Yeah. I'm patiently waiting, hoping that SW have their annual fall sale in May/June and prices go down. Cheapest flight so far is $192 one way. I'll pay if I have to but I really don't want to. Lol.

If SW is a no go than I hope other airlines come down because for now their prices are no better. I'm like sheesh! What is going on with these prices?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Dave: Booking on short notice really stinks, because it is unlikely the rate will go down now.

But I am talking 7 weeks in advance, and as far as I know it is not a busy travel day.

Believe me that I understand how the SWA system works. I've changed our flight to LAS from $79 to $69 to $82 (switched times) and finally to $59. The $59 rate for our flight lasted about 3 hours on Wednesday and then returned to the current rate of $102.

I know that we all pay different rates, for a lot of reasons, but this isn't just higher----it is 4 times what we are paying for the same flight.

Clifton, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Yes, these are the highest rates I've ever seen to Vegas from the NYC area. I fly to Vegas every year and the most I've paid is $360 RT- which seems like a bargain right now. I'm planning a May trip and still haven't purchased tickets hoping that they go down some. For my prior trip last September, I got a great deal on JetBlue for $240 RT.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I don't think I've ever seen a fare for LAS this high

Flights to/from New York are also at an all time high! While we were still able to get a decent fare, (by changing our dates), Most fares are higher than we have ever seen! It is also much harder to get (low mileage) award seats on the major carriers such as American & United.