We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

Since I will very likely not do much driving around LV I was wondering if it is possible to get to the G Canyon and back by methods other than renting a car? I have a 2 night reservation at Bright Angel (Wed / Thurs) so the day trip buses will not work for me. Are there other options that might work? I even researched a short 4 day rental but so far the rates are the same or just $20 cheaper than a full week. Suggestions?

1. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 18:35
Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

ldn 2009 I really wish TA had a like button!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

You might not say that once you read my reply to your post about buffet tipping. But I hope so as it's a very nice thing for you to have said.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

I'm not sure if you could book the day tour under the stipulation that you ride in one day and out a different one; if they aren't full, they may be able to accommodate that request. It could be worth a shot.

Otherwise any other options are probably going to cost a lot more than renting a car will cost.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

My deleted post 1 (paraphrased): How did you plan on getting there when you made your hotel booking?

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

Since your first post was deemed inappropriate I assume it was humorous... at my expense. Renting a car is the obvious choice... but 4 or more of the days it will just be setting in my hotel's parking garage. Not being familiar with the Las Vegas area I had hoped there might have been a regular express bus that ran between the two locations. Possibly even a scenic train? Guess I will continue to do my research... only on a friendlier board.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

There are no bus services between Las Vegas and GCNP other than the tour buses and no train service - there are overnight coach tours but I doubt this would work for a 2 night stay.

The car rental is the obvious and most logical choice and even if it sits in the garage for some of the time it should be cheaper than the other options.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

Unfortunately because my post was removed you can only assume what it said. Or you can take my word that it asked no more than the question I asked in post 5 just in slightly different words. No humour. No unfriendliness. Just a curiosity why you would book a hotel without knowing how you were going to get there.

I do not know of a way of getting to the Grand Canyon that is purely transportational (sic.) as opposed to a tour. But I would suggest one of the best sources of a clear answer to that question (as you aren't getting one here) would be the bus tour companies. They may run a service or know of a service. Either way they are worth a call.

Assuming something doesn't exist then, of course, there is the option to charter a helicopter or plane but if you're concerned about a week's car rental price you won't want to entertain those costs.

Have you shopped around car rental companies? Are they all too expensive for you to consider for the short rental?

You could take the week, parking it for free in Las Vegas and use it. Downtown, Red Rock Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Mean, Valley of Fire, off-Strip resorts. That would add value to having it.

Finally, if you don't come up with something you're going to have to make a decision between cancelling your trip to the Grand Canyon or paying for the car rental. I suspect (assume, even) I know which option you will choose.

So I say don't delay getting a car rental booking made only for it to go up in price by the time you are forced to book it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

I will book a rental car. My research of Rental companies lead me to E-Z Rent A Car. Problem is when I went to finalize booking they had a clause saying car could not leave Nevada without "manager approval." They also had a clause saying booking was only held for 1 hour past the booked pick-up time. Generally not what I would call "customer friendly" terms. Sure, everything could work out just fine... but they sure left themselves a lot of wiggle room. Some of the other rental companies were DOUBLE the price... so I thought why not seek other options. From posts it appears there are not many other options. So I will book a rental... and keep checking back with the majors for a price break. So far not many are offering deals thru September, only thru June. For me the Grand Canyon is the part of the trip I am most looking forward to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NO Rental car trip to Grand Canyon?

Definitely keep checking with the majors. Sounds like you know your stuff.