We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to book fall flight?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
When to book fall flight?

Hi! I'll preface this post by saying I'm not even close to an avid flyer. My husband and I will be flying out of Philadelphia airport mid-late October and coming back a week and 1/2 later. I've been looking at flights on Priceline and other sites that compare airfare. I considered booking though I've read the better deals won't be out yet...anyway, I didn't book and the flights went up $70 a person! Is this normal? Should I listen to the advice to wait it out, and how long should I wait? Thanks all!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,066 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to book fall flight?

People will advise you from a much more experienced position than me and their advice might be spot on. However, my general advice is that you really never can tell what's going to happen with flight prices. And if you see a price you are happy with, book it and don't worry if it goes down a bit. You paid a price you were happy with, you have the peace of mind of having it booked and you can start looking forward to your holiday.

Now obviously with hindsight you would have preferred to pay the price you previously saw but that's gone and now you find yourself in the same position I laid out above. Are you happy with the price now and are you prepared to risk it being $70 higher by waiting for it to be $70 lower?

Now I'll leave up to the guys with the experience!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When to book fall flight?

As you might gather, we fly from Philly as a matter of course, normally on US Airways.

I'd start looking at airfare and rooms about 90 days before the trip, so sometime in July for your trip.

As for the US Airways flights we usually take, it's usually cheapest if you can depart early (e.g. the 7:50 AM PHL-LAS flight) and come back late (the 2:35 LAS-PHL flight). Expect fares to be between $370 and $480 round trip. I think we hit $370 for our upcoming trip. You can sometimes find cheaper flights with stops.

If you're interested, take a look at the US Airways master card - it currently includes a $99 companion ticket that could save you a couple hundred bucks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to book fall flight?

Look on Wednesday mornings for your best price. That's the day most airlines start their seat sales for the week.

Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to book fall flight?

Thanks for the tips. I found a trip for $322 a person (that's the one I missed the boat on) so I'm hoping to see a similar one :( I'll look into that MasterCard.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,066 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to book fall flight?

Already cheaper than PhillyWill's suggesting. Are you thinking about booking it?

Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to book fall flight?

If the $322 were still available, then definitely, but now it's $390+ so although still a good deal...I'd love to see it closer to 3...though I wonder if it's only going to climb

Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to book fall flight?

Spirit has flights in the $200s but I don't think I can justify flying with them considering all the fees and tight seats I've read about

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,066 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to book fall flight?

I can only presume you don't buy in to the philosophy I laid out above, which is fine, but If you do then 'still a good deal' should have you booking!

Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to book fall flight?

Haha, I do buy in. I wish I hadn't doubted myself when I could've snagged the cheaper price a week ago! But now I think I'll play the waiting game a few more weeks based on the advice provided, and if it continues to climb I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and book.

East Bridgewater...
Level Contributor
180 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to book fall flight?

I am flying from Boston October 15-27th (so around the same time). I actually already booked my airfare straight through Jet Blue. I've never flown to Vegas, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The flights seemed high to me, i looked at them one Sunday, and then the following Tuesday they went up.

I ended up booking a morning flight out, and the red eye home to save some money (both non-stop) and on Jet Blue. I ended up paying 476 per person. BUT i am keeping my eye on them, because if you book through Jet Blue and the price goes down, you receive a credit, which i will end up using. So i am hoping that happens.

I do feel like this was expensive - but knowing that if it goes down, i will use the credit, helped.