We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rates. Today's highest

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Exchange rates. Today's highest

Hi folks, I should mention that the rates that i'll be discussing are the rates that are offered in the Uk but I would value any feedback from anyone in the UK or not. I have been keeping track of the different exchange rates companies are offering for my pound to the dollar.

Today Thomas Cook are offering 1.65, which is one of the highest I have seen. I am certain this is as a result of the Easter weekend where many travelers will be looking for various last minute deals. Can anyone offer any advice on when exchange rates tend to be at there highest during the year?. My party will be traveling in September. I have read that a lot of people use Fairfax and other online based companies however I would not feel comfortable ordering currency and waiting for it to be delivered.

Thanks

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

Hi, due to the the news this week regarding UK inflation and unemployment coming down they are predicting The Pound will reach a new high against the Dollar and that may explain the $1:65 rate

On my recent trip stateside I was buying Dollars every week for about a month before and found my local Tesco to have the best rates averaging around $1:62 so not that much lower than now, my daughter bought my wife Dollars for her Mothers Day from the Post Office and the rates were down at $1:55, so with that in mind Tesco was a great deal.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

Be aware that if you are going to take a Thomas Cook pre-paid card rather than cash, that there is a $2.50 charge for using an ATM.

Services which do NOT charge for ATM withdrawals tend to have a lower exchange rate.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

I recommend the Travelex website tracker which shows the trend of major currency. I usually order from Travelex with one of their happy hour offers and collect at the airport which gives a really competitive rate generally.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

"Can anyone offer any advice on when exchange rates tend to be at there highest during the year?"

If we could do that we would be mega rich making millions on the F/X markets.

north london
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

I'm with Atcer, I use Travelex, great during the Happy Hour, but also good at other times too, just make sure you order in advance to collect at the airport. Their rates if you don't pre-order are awful.

England
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

Im always shocked when people ask when is the best time to buy :-)

Bronx, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

I can't imagine how great it is to come here from the UK with that kind of exchange rate. I would go nuts! Have fun people!

England
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

It wasn't that long ago when we were getting 2 dollars to the pound :-)

Those days were great lol

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

I bought dollars from thomasexchange today, their rate was 1.665. I had to queue for about 30 mins at their London Victoria branch

10. Re: Exchange rates. Today's highest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 06:15