We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

Hi

I've been reading posts and am very confused re which tour to book to have a memorable day at the Grand canyon.

It seems to me that the best option is via a helicopter ride since you actually land in the Canyon. We are 3 girls ages 23-29 travelling 1st week of Sept.

Costs are high and Inoticed that 2 4 1 deals no longer apply for the 4th - 7th Sept. pls advise if otherwise.

I saw that some tours include coach tours lunch and possibly a boat ride and are very long ( Over 7 - 9 hrs)

Others are shorter and have a plane ride from the airport. ( about 3 hrs)

how long is the drive from the hotel to the Grand Canyon approximately ?

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. as wella s possible tour companies to contact. Is booking online cheaper?

Thank u

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

You can rent a car and drive to south rim 10 hours driving round trip. The bus trip involves more time on the road. For 3 of you, just rent a car rather than buy 3 bus tour tickets, you can set your own pace and schedule

Early to bed, early to rise, no booze the night before, and it will be a nice and easy trip...get the early start to you can relax and not worry about having enough time

Malta
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

thanks 4 d tip

we are a bit scared to drive. we drive on the other side of the raod in Malta and our speed limit is 60 km/h max

so maybe a Flight would be more opprtune to avoid the 10 hour round trip ..i am assuming it is 5 hrs from our hotel to the Grand canyon and 5 hours back correct ?

Detroit
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

On one of our trips to Vegas, about three years ago, we went to the Grand Canyon. We found a day trip on the internet, and luckily, they WERE running a special at the time, which we jumped on. (Believe it ended up being about $150 per person.) A van picked us up at our hotel around 8:00 a.m., drove us to the airport. We then got on an 18-seater airplane, which was equipped with headphones so there was a bit of commentary provided as we flew over the Grand Canyon. Landed in the park, got off the plane, got on a bus. The bus took us to two scenic outlooks, and we had time (maybe an hour or so at each stop) to get off the bus and walk around, take pictures, buy souvenirs, etc. Then, the bus took us somewhere (I forget) for a buffet lunch which was included in our package, which was nothing special but certainly filling. Back to the bus, back on the plane, and then they took us back to our hotel around 5:00 p.m. It was more than worth it. The best thing, we were back in time to catch a show on the Strip in the evening.

Northville, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,883 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

5 hr each way at 100 kmh average speed, and one or two stops for a break

ohio
Level Contributor
400 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

I could have written Vegaholic's message because that is exactly what we did and we thought it was the perfect way to see the Grand Canyon. It was the highlight of our trip. You and your friends will love it this way. Check out Grandcanyontours.com.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

The best one day tours are very good and if you must do one so be it, but part of the unique Grand Canyon experience is staying there overnight. If you're coming from Europe and don't know when you'll get the chance to visit again, you'll really be missing out if you don't do this.

Boston
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

We did the Celebration tour with Papillion Tours via helicopter. I'm so glad we did it since we had an awesome helicopter ride and spent enough time in the Canyon and saw plenty. I wouldn't want to spend 10 hours on a bus! You're only in Vegas for so long... just my opinion! It's worth the extra $$...

Western PA
Level Contributor
723 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

Please check to see which part of the "canyon" your tour will visit. If the tour actually lands on the canyon floor it is not landing inside the national park. Those tours go to the so-called "west rim", which is in area controlled by one of the native american tribes (Huluapai, I think). That doesn't mean they won't be enjoyable, just that they do not go to Grand Canyon National Park, which encompasses the portion of the canyon that is usually shown in pictures of the "Grand Canyon". If the tour goes to the South Rim, that is within the National Park.

I wish I could give you advice on which specific tour to take, but regardless of which you choose, it will be memorable. Be sure to search this forum for "Grand Canyon" - you will find some past info. about tours that others have taken.

Malta
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

thank you all for your input and advise

will be looking to get there by plane and go down by helicopter. Found a sunset tour which promises helicopter ride and exclusive Grand Canyon West Ranch, where a horse-drawn wagon awaits. Relax in the Ranch House where dinner is served in the company of Cowboy entertainment. Enjoy a campfire under the stars before your return by ground to Las Vegas via the floodlit Hoover Dam.

it's about 8 hrs long and about $280 each. Only minus is a bus ride back to hotel (not plane ride) arriving at 1 30 am

thanks 4 input

appreciate loads

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused re Grand Canyon what is the best way to see it pl.

It looks like you are doing a west rim tour. Most people on here say the south rim is better to do if you have the time. We will be in Vegas next April for the first time and have considered tours to both rims and have settled on a Papillon tour to the south rim with an overnight stay called the Grand Canyon Deluxe Overnight Tour. The tour is a flight to the south rim, a coach tour into the national park, overnight at a hotel with breakfast. This is at a cost of $189.00 each. There is an Imax theatre show in with this but we will not be doing this, instead we are adding a 30 minute helicopter flight over the canyon. Hope this helps.