We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going out in the evening

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Going out in the evening

Good morning all,

We are doing a big holiday in California/Nevada/Arizona in September and intending on spending 3 nights in Las Vegas.

On one of these nights, my husband and i intend to go out drinking/dancing at the night clubs/bars.

We're coming from the UK and have never done this in the states before we're a bit confused about what we need to do to get in to places, cover charges, queueing etiquette, dress codes etc

We don't want to spend ages queueing to get in then get turned away for not fitting the bill.

Please could someone explain how american night life works?

What sort of time to people head out?

Is there a standard dress code that tends to be across the board? certain types of shoes/collared shirts etc

What should we prepare for? i've read brief mentions of bottle service, table service, cover charges and the like.

Any recommendation for us in LV?

Any help is much appreciated

Jodie

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,753 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
640 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
Mansfield, England...
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Going out in the evening

Hi Jodie,

Were from the UK too. Vegas clubs run just like ours just a whole lot nicer and better! Cover Charge is just like what we would pay to get into a club. You can pre-pay for ticket before you go, try getting on a guest list while you're there or pay on the door, paying on the door just like here will cost the most. Women generally pay a lot less then guys too.

Dress like you would if you were going to a decent club here, no trainers polo shirts ect. Some bars are a little more relaxed but if your like us, we like to dress up at night and you'll be fine. Also remember to be nice and chatty to the bouncers :)

If its just the two of you I don't think bottle service is worth it, however it does guarantee you somewhere to sit and a someone watching your stuff if you want to hit the dance floor, also be careful what your paying for with bottle service. If it seems to good a price it usually is, many people complain that they've been put on a table out of the way after paying next to nothing. Also remember drinks in Vegas clubs are $$$$$$ compared to here. We went to Hakkasan and paid about $100 for four vodka redbulls and $10 for a small water but we were in one of the top clubs in Vegas watching Calvin Harris :D

As for what times people go out. It's Vegas there is something 24/7 ;) we go by the same times as we would here. Bars for pre-drinking and hit a club around 12-1am.

Can totally recommend Hakkasan but have a quick google see if any DJs are on that you like while you're there. Also depends on what kind of music you like as to where we can recommend? :)

Hope that helps! Have a great time in Vegas!

Concord, NH
Level Contributor
42 posts
2. Re: Going out in the evening

Hey Jodie! I would check out Jackcolton.com as that site has lots of info about the "Club Scene" in Vegas. Vegas is a 24/7 town but most of the clubs don't really get going until after 11pm. I would say the general rule is dress to impress and most people do in order to get in. Many clubs will tell you no T-shirts, jeans, sneakers etc. JackColton has more info on this too.

Bottle service will run you hundreds (thousands) of dollars depending on the night and the club. Get in line early and just pay the door fee, if there is one, and just buy drinks (still overpriced) in the bar if you are not looking to spend this much. I am not sure of your age (not that it matters really) or what kind of nightlife scene you are looking for but I would suggest a "warm-up" night at VooDoo lounge at the RIO. It is a club that is on the 51st floor with a view that cannot be beat. It is not one of the ultra clubs and every time we have gone there we have gotten there early and have not paid a cover charge to enter. It is more casual nightlife than the big name clubs but is still a great time with good drinks and plenty of dancing. Hope this helps!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Going out in the evening

You should contact a host for the club you want to visit and ask to be placed on the guest list. You can often find promoters in the late afternoon/early evening at or near the clubs they represent, or you can find their contact info online (I often just google it). A guest list usually gets you both in more quickly and without a cover, and ladies often drink for free with restrictions. The promoter may text you close to your time of arrival to see if you are still coming and may also give advice about where to line up, etc.

Drinks in Vegas clubs are crazy expensive, so pre-gaming in the room while getting ready is a must in my book. We typically arrive at the club some time before midnight.

Men should wear a collared, button-up shirt and nicer shoes. Ladies should dress to impress. Clubs get hot, so my standard outfit is a silk sleeveless top or camisole, nice jeans, heels and a clutch. There may not be anywhere to check a coat, put a sweater, etc. so leave them in the room. I always carry a pair of foldable flats in my purse/clutch.

One of the things I like about Vegas clubs is that there always seems to be a variety of ages represented. As for a specific recommendation, I like Tao on Thursday (industry night) and Saturday. The club has a good layout and the DJs play a variety of music so I always have a good time dancing there.

Be aware that the club will be crowded, people will inevitably bump in to you, and there is really no where to sit/stand anywhere near the action without table service. This doesn't bother me since I get a couple of drinks and then hit the dance floor but it could get old if you were on the sidelines.

Have fun!

milwaukee
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Going out in the evening

There are a alot of nice clubs, i would tend to recommend a club at where your staying to make it easier. Marquee at Cosmopolitan and XS at Wynn are 2 recommendations, i have heard great things about Hakkasan at MGM but i dont care to stay at MGM. Properties like Cosmopolitan have a ton of great bars like Bond which are alot of fun and our simply open to all, but its not a club its a lounge/bar. I wouldnt tend to recommend bottle service for 2 people but it does alow you to skip the line and entrance fee but the cost for most of the nicer clubs for bottle service is 800 give or take and that doesnt include tip. I think i would recommend Hyde at Bellagio, smaller but great view of the fountains, great environment for a couple, but its not on the same level as the big clubs but as a couple i would pick Hyde.

5. Re: Going out in the evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:16