We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

Say a flight from Pittsburgh or Cleveland to Vegas. what would the upgrade to economy plus cost on top of a fare about $500 for cheap seats. I tried to sort out the subscriptions and googled and still can't nail down an approximate extra charge for the economy plus on a round trip to Vegas.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,565 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,032 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
570 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
1. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 00:35
Honolulu
Level Contributor
520 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

start a online res and you will get the option of upgrading for.....anywhere between $39 and $79 depending on route and how far your going. IE: hnl to lax. $89 last year.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 01:08
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,069 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

Correct. Just do a "dummy booking" using any name, birthdate etc and you'll get to the screen with the cost.

Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

Last year I paid $88.50 on top of economy for New York to Las Vegas. Not sure it was worth it to be honest!

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

$88.50 added to the economy fare for 5" of leg space would be about 20% increase. Ever since United swallowed Continental, things have gone to pot flying out of cleveland, dropping from 3 direct flights a day to one, and probably none in the next month or so when United drops Cleveland as a hub. I think there are enough gamblers in Northern Ohio and western Pa to justify direct flights at a halfway reasonable price. If I have to spend 8-10 hours in planes and airports twice in a week, its just not appealing to go to Vegas even if the rooms are comped.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 02:33
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

As a frequent flyer on UAL I can honestly tell you that economy plus seating is almost always NOT worth the extra cost.

Unless you can get the Aisle seats in the very front row or exit rows with lots of leg room you are better off just saving your money. You won't even notice the extra 5" of leg room in the other seats.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

I fly on United a lot. Only you can determine if it is worth the price to upgrade to Economy Plus seating. But it is definitely more comfortable than standard Economy seats. A few inches may not look like much, but it feels much different, especially on long flights.

I flew to Dubai (14.5 hours) in Economy and was miserable. I flew back (15.5 hours) in Economy Plus and it was fine.

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

The main reasons I asked this question is the the cheap seats are full on the only daily direct flight yet there are numerous seats available in the economy plus seats. then I got frustrated that I would need to book a cheap seat to find out how much the plus seats would cost. As difficult as United makes it to check the cost, my suspicion was it was a ridiculous amount.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,069 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

I honestly didn't find it that difficult to check. It IS a bit of a pain. But a pain that took me all of about 45 seconds to do a dummy booking and get the cost.

" I think there are enough gamblers in Northern Ohio and western Pa to justify direct flights at a halfway reasonable price."

And there is the problem. Of course United would have more flights if it was profitable to do so. But as the airlines learned a few years ago, flying a full plane of people all getting a "reasonable price" isnt' earning them any money. That's why so many flights have been cut through the whole industry.

Bawtry, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines Economy Plus Cost?

Last year I paid $88.50 on top of economy for New York to Las Vegas. Not sure it was worth it to be honest!

Forgot to add that this was one way (as I returned home from Las Vegas direct to Manchester with Virgin).