We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did we get ripped off?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Did we get ripped off?

Took a taxi from airport to the Ecore Hotel. Total bill for taxi ride was $35.00 plus tip. Is this the standard rate? We asked the driver to take us by the fastest route and he took us by the freeway. Just wondering if this is a fair price ( traffic was moving very smoothly) or if we should ask the taxi driver on return to take a different route back to the airport.

THX

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,641 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did we get ripped off?

It would have been around $22-$24 if you took the more direct route with normal traffic.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 06:51
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Sounds expensive...

Cave Creek, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Technically he took you the fastest way. But in terms of distance it's longest. You basically screwed yourself over.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Correct, you screwed yourself. The driver did exactly what you told him to do.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Unfortunatly, YES, you did get ripped off (by your own doing).... For the return trip, just tell the driver, please take paradise road....your fare may be as little as half of what you paid, depending on how many traffic lights you make or don't make!

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did we get ripped off?

It's a shame that the driver didn't help you out, but that's what Vegas Taxis are known for. "Fastest" for many people would mean the time it would take to get to the hotel. For Vegas taxi drivers, it means the speed they can drive their vehicles.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did we get ripped off?

You got double ripped off. Not only was it more expensive, but it was probably slower.

Note to a couple posters above: The tunnel is not usually going to be faster to Paris!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
257 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Not to worry, lesson learnt for next time. It was only a few bucks anyway and if you're staying at Encore I'm sure you won't miss it.

Washington
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Holy Cow!!!...$35.00 without tip? I really feel for you, just for a ride in a grungy taxi car. Now if you have to take a taxi back to the airport & pay $22-$24 which would make the roundtrip cost $57-$59 altogether?

Even if RT taxi fare came to $44-$48 (before tip) altogether, I kind of feel (for a better experience & only a few bucks more) that reserving online in advance, the BellTrans VIP Shared Shuttle at $28.00 p/p (or $56.00 per couple) is much nicer in my own opinion. Based on personal experience(s), I seldom had to share the car with another party; & the one time when I did, the driver dropped me off first before delivering the other couple to their hotel directly next door. Of the Presidential Limo (owned & used by BellTrans for the RT VIP Shuttle) cars I have ridden in, they are either a Chrysler 300, Cadillac Escalade, or a Lincoln Town Car; & will range from a standard luxury car (20%), stretch limo (40%), or a stretch luxury limo (40%) with soft blue rope lighting. And the drivers have always been extremely professional & personable too.

Just chalk it up to a lesson well learned; I know the feeling when getting taken "for a ride." Unless if there is a group (3 or more) of you, I'd highly recommend just skipping the crummy old taxi service(s) & just chuck up the few dollars more & reserve online, the BellTrans VIP RT Shuttle instead.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 15:23
SoCal
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did we get ripped off?

Several years ago I made the same mistake of asking for the quickest route, wound up paying almost $30 to the Orleans. Lesson learned.