We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time usa driving

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
first time usa driving

What are the speed limits around LAS airport and on roads to Lake Mead and Laughlin?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,766 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time usa driving

It depends what specific road you're on. Airport access roads would have much lower limits than major highways.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time usa driving

I just wanted to get an idea of what speed limits generally are. In the UK we pretty much only use 30mph and 40 mph for city driving, 60mph for small but out of town roads, 70mph for major roads

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,766 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time usa driving

Pretty much the same in Nevada, more or less. 75 MPH is the max. Keep an eye out for the signs.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time usa driving

Thsnks. Does it change at all going into Arizona?

Coventry
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time usa driving

All speed limits are clearly posted but they can be strict. I was done for speeding in Utah last year doing 40 in a 30 zone and was fined $90. The limit by schools is 20 and they are very strict on that. The cop that did me was lying in wait just up the road from a school so I was lucky really. The other thing is if you are caught speeding in a construction zone the fine gets doubled. The more over the limit you go the bigger the fine so don't speed, it is too expensive..

las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time usa driving

Be careful of the speed trap in searchlight on your way to Laughlin. It goes from 75 to 25 and cops will be out.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time usa driving

Second the warning about Searchlight, Nevada. There is a curve right after it goes to 25 and there is always at least one cop.

8. Re: first time usa driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2015, 06:18