We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pairing Hoover Dam with....? Advice please.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pairing Hoover Dam with....? Advice please.

Hi there. Looking for some advice/responses about what to combine with a Hoover Dam tour. I have read posts of pairing it with Valley of Fire. Is that possible in one day with a sidetrip to Rick's Restoration before an evening car rental return at the hotel?

How long does it take to get to Vof F from Hoover? if so; any places to stop to pick up drinks etc. on that route before entering the park? What time would you advise I get to the Dam?

Would a Red Rock Canyon and Hoover Dam combo work out better with more time left? ( even though they look to be in opposite directions). I hope that this itinerary is possible as we are only renting a car for a day.

Thanks for any help/experiences.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pairing Hoover Dam with....? Advice please.

VoF and Hoover Dam are very easy to do in the same afternoon if you leave at around noon.

Leave Las VEgas on highway 15 going North. Take Valley of Fire Highway, leading to the park. There is a corner store where you can get some water before entering the park. Las Vegas to Valley of Fire takes about 60 minutes.

Once you're done visiting the park, exit through the same place you entered the park but turn left on Valley of fire highway.

Turn right on highway 167 and turn left on Lakeshore road. Turn left on Great Basin Highway (93) and you'll be at Hoover Dam in a matter of minutes. All in all, VoF to Hoover Dam takes about 90 minutes of driving.

VoF is much more spectacular than red rock canyon, IMO.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,407 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pairing Hoover Dam with....? Advice please.

Hoover Dam with Willow Beach (which is below the dam)is a combo.

HD with a mine tour at Nelson is a combo. That road ends at the shores of Lake Mojave if you want to swim also.

HD and Valley of Fire with a drive around Lake Mead is a very popular drive.

To avoid tour busses, get to the dam as early as possible, and see the bypass bridge at the same time.

3. Re: Pairing Hoover Dam with....? Advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:15