We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
west midlands
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

Hi off to vegas on the 1st oct for 7 nites. Its my second time (1st was 13 years ago) partners 1st time here. I went to lake mead on my last trip but neither of the other two. Just wondering which would be best to visit out of the three. as we have alot of things planned in the 7 days plus we are getting married :-)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,982 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

First of all congrats on the wedding.

Secondly how much time do you have for this excursion? Death Valley takes a couple of days to see much, Grand Canyon at least one day and preferably an overnight, Lake Mead a few hours.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

Lake Mead is nowhere near the spectacle that the other two are its just a lake currently with low water levels, Ill assume you are including the Dam as part of seeing Lake Mead?

If you go to the Grand Canyon you will drive right over the dam and Lake Mead.

If you have the time Id choose GC

milwaukee
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

If you visit lake mead, go rent a jet ski(very easy and reasonable) and you can take that over and get a really cool view of the hoover dam.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

Death Valley will be unimpressive that time of the year; you can see barren desert much closer to Vegas (it is best seen in late winter/early spring). Grand Canyon is stunning, but even the south rim (Disneyland west, as it is known) is a full day trip at least (about a four and half hour trip one way from Vegas, and the drive is dull and unscenic). I agree with the posters who suggested keep it simple and see Hoover Dam and Boulder City. That will be a relaxed day. Save the Grand Canyon (and Zion) for another trip. And congratulations.

west midlands
Level Contributor
74 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think we are just going to wait and see when we get there what time we have left after sightseeing to decide what would be worth going to see :-))))

Fontana, California
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

Eliminate Death Valley

7. Re: lake mead, grand canyon or death valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:17