We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

We had a choice of Sunwing, AC, And Westjet to LV in August. We picked Air Canada because of the flight times, and better price than Westjet. Then, I started hearing nightmare stories about the Rouge service and extremely cramped flight we were now booked on. I immediately called the airline, and upgraded our seats to provide us more leg room. We got 4 of the only "apparent" 6 seats available that offers an extra 6 inches of leg room for $40.00 per person each way (there went the cheaper prices than the Westjet flight).

Then I found out that there is absolutely no inflight entertainment the the 5 hour flight, and that you have to bring your IPad with the AC app downloaded on it so you can watch movies. Lastly, I know that you have to buy your food/ snacks/beverages if you want which is not an issue....what is strange is that I have now been told that they don't take "cash", but credit cards only on the flight......geez.......

I hope that we have not made a huge mistake as we are bringing my older parents with us, and I don't want them to feel like we have put them on a low budget, no service way to LV? Is there any more surprises that I don't know about yet, or is it going to be OK?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Brossard, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

No, Air Canada Rouge isn't that bad. It's definately a different brand than the Air Canada mainline but it's okay.

First, to access the in-flight entertainement, you can do it through and IPhone, and Android, a laptop and many more gadgets... worse case scenario, you can rent an ipad for 10$ for the duration of the flight.

Air Canada doesn't serve meals on flights within North America anymore, except business class.

Air Canada Rouge's 763s (Boeing 767-300ER) aren't bad at all and legroom is okay for regular seats. The Airbus 319 is a little more cramp than it used to be on mainline services but it's okay.

The cabin crew is very friendly as well.

Okay, I personnaly still prefer the regular Air Canada but I've flown Rouge on a Boeing 767 and found it okay, I was afraid because of the horror stories but it definately went okay for me.

You'll be fine! Don't worry :)

Shag Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

You should be fine with the seats you purchased, but I would never sit in a 29 inch pitch seat like regular economy.

Westjet all the way for me. I won't even look at other airlines for Vegas now.

And don't forget the extra baggage fees AC will charging.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

They are not the only airline going "cashless" I flew to Vegas via Alaska Air last year and they took cc's only as well. No big deal, really quick and no waiting for the flight attendants to get change. I think you will see more and more of this.

Warrington...
Level Contributor
638 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

Sounds exactly like our flight on United last April from Philly,PA to Vegas.Did a lot of reading.At least you know in advance what to expect.Trying Southwest in September.Good luck!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
779 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

For now you can get the AC app for free and watch movies as long as the on board "wifi" system is working. We flew rouge to Jamaica and apparently they will be charging for the movies and tv come September on the app.

I'm a huge fan of Westjet, I will book them if it's an option no matter the price difference.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

I dont understand why you think this is different to any other airline? I just flew LV to JFK, a flight which takes over 5 hours, with Delta, they are also cashless and only show an overhead movie.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,645 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

Sounds like economy on most every airline these days... provide your own entertainment or pay if available, no meals is normal and credit only is also normal. Seats may be more cramped but you solved that issue somewhat. No worries.

oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
946 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

,If you are on the morning flight it will probably be a 767-300 and it will be ok as the seats are two, three and two. Get row 27 for the extra leg room. If you are taking the night flight 8:50 pm then it probably is a 319 and that is just way to cramped for comfort on a long flight even in business class. We always took the night flight until we went Rouge and decided the length of the flight now dictates we need it to be more comfortable so go in the am flight. Because you are going to the US there is a charge of about $25. pp for a checked bag out of Pearson Airport if you are not going business class. We have been checking the flights and got a business class for Labour day weekend for $650. going and $600. return which includes a hot meal, two checked bags no charge, loan of an ipad and ear buds and drinks and snacks plus first off the plane. We also found the same fairs for next May 2015 trip and decided it was worth it. But we have flown rough exit row not business on a 767 and a 319 and the 767 was fine and the 319 was not bearable. Just a FYI we had to return 3 sets of ear buds in business class as they did not work. Now we take our own, the ones on your Ipad fit the air Canada. You can download the air Canada application but I also load my ipad with my own movies and it works great. Enjoy.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

Thanks for all of your comments. We are on a late night flight and will be on the smaller plane. We did upgrade already to the bigger seat pitch seats. I have an IPad and have already downloaded the app for whatever the inflight entertainment is. I guess that already knowing what to expect will eliminate any disappointing surprises. I don't really expect to eat anything as it is after diner time when we leave. We will grab some snacks in the airport to take on with us so that we don't have to get anything on board.

We just have to wait until August 17th to get the party started!

Edited: 08 June 2014, 16:45
oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
946 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Did I make a mistake booking on Air Canada Rouge to LV?

Vicki....you can go on the air Canada sight where you bought your tickets and prepay for a value meal, it is cheaper to do this on line. It is about $7.00 or $9.00 for this voucher which will show up on your boarding pass so you do not have to give a credit card on the plane. This entitles you to a sandwich or pizza or chicken wrap (chicken wrap is the best) plus a snack such as pringles, noodle soup or a large chocolate bar and a beverage. This is a good buy and this meal helps to break up the 5 hour flight. Also it is good to know that on the way home it is always shorter do to the tail winds.