We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
missouri, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Downtown

I really got a kick out of downtown last time we went. Everything on the strip is so far and downtown you can just walk out of your hotel into the action. Is it safe to stay downtown and what hotel would you recommend?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,273 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown

The Golden Nugget is the nicest hotel on Fremont. I've stayed in most of the room categories there and the Rush Tower rooms would compare very favorably with most of the 4* properties on the Strip. I've heard nice things about the Downtown Grand and the D but I haven't stayed there.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown

I stayed at El COrtez last year but was a little bit further away than most of the hotels, but there was lots of security.

I heard good things about Main Street Station though

Indianapolis,IN
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown

I agree with Dave. Golden Nugget is the place to stay downtown. If you're not picky and your budget is tight, I suggest The D. Yes downtown is safe in and around the canopy. Have fun!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown

Yes it's safe under the canopy (just don't act stupidly). And the Nugget is the best place to stay by far (haven't been at the D since the renovation)

Edited: 11 June 2014, 17:06
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown

The nicest is Golden Nugget. Then probably Downtown Grand. Others are a place to crash.

It is safe. Your visual senses will surely be assaulted by the many cronic alcoholics that are down and out on their luck - but I've never felt threatened by anyone and have walked all over (not confined to the canopy). With that said- use common sense and don't leave anything valuable lying around or it will disappear quickly I'm sure.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
737 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown

Yes, if you want a 3-star or 4-star hotel experience while downtown, then by all means, The Golden Nugget is THE place to stay. But if you are staying downtown, more likely than not, you are a bit more budget-minded than the average "Strip" visitor. Why not give one of the other canopy hotels a try like Four Queens or Fremont?

BTW, on the question of safety, it is not an issue any more (or less) than safety on the Strip. Follow the standard rules of personal safety :

Never flash your cash

Stay in well lit areas

Walk in groups

Be aware of your surroundings

Don't act "stoopid"

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown

Yes it's safe. My wife & I have stayed at the 4 Queens For 4 years in a row. Nice clean rooms w/ a coffee maker. We bring our own coffee. No Resort Fee!!! The least expensive hotel on a regular basis. More money for the rest of your vacation. You don't stay downtown for the room. Enjoy Vegas no matter where you stay!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown

Stayed at 4 Queens, Main Street Station and the Plaza. All budget hotels and very good value for money

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downtown

I have stayed at all the downtown hotels except the D(stayed there when it was Fitz)I do not recomend the Grand,too costly for what you get.The Nugget is the nicest but also pricey.IMHO Main Street is the nicest for the price!The whole "downtown"area is changing,more like the strip,I am not a big fan of the changes!Too many of those"cool"bars to hang out in.It is getting too trendy for me!Bring back the OLD Vegas!

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
299 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downtown

I'm also looking to book my first stay downtown. It's going to be the weekend portion of a longer trip and I'm trying to decide between the D and the Nugget ... for the nights I'm looking at they have almost identical rates for the basic rooms on the Friday and Saturday nights, with the D being about $50 cheaper on Sunday. Just wondering if the Nugget is still free from resort fees as their website claims... and I just signed up on both sites for email offers. Has anyone had any luck with cold offers from either property?