We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelled flight!

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cancelled flight!

My girlfriend and i were due to land at mccarran airport today at 1230pm to check in at caesars at 1pm....we got a call at 1am est that our flight was cancelled!!

Not only that but they (jetblue) wanted to charge us additional for the flight we re-booked tomorrow morning. We kindly asked to speak to a manager and got that taken care of. No reason was given for why the flight was cancelled and the flight before and after ours departed with no issues.

We then had to call Caesars to let them know not to expect us for a 1pm check in and even they tried to tell us that we would still be charged for a night that we would not be present. I asked to speak to a manager and got the issue resolved however i was told that they could not guarantee an early check (Prior to 4pm) in since our new flight has us landing at mccarran at 10am.

What happened to practicing good business?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelled flight!

Yeah Caesars charges for early check in unless your platinum and above

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelled flight!

If I could be Otto Optimist in the midst of this. It was crazy that Jet Blue tried charging you, but at least you knew ahead of time your flight was cancelled. You could have shown up at the airport only to find it had been cancelled. My guess is that it was a major mechanical issue that required the plan to be pulled for 24 hours.

Although this is not your fault, it also is not Caesars fault either. They did not have to refund you that first night. I'm glad you got to someone who was reasonable.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelled flight!

Oh this is flight 411 from JFK right? I wonder if it had anything to do with the Southwest Plane that backed into the Jet Blue plane the other day, maybe they are short a plane

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,000 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelled flight!

The problem is solely on JetBlue here. Your travel options do shoulder a little responsibility though.

JetBlue is a discount airline, with limited flights & limited planes. If something happens to one of their aircraft, such as a maintenance issue, or the aircraft can't get to your city from another city, they don't have many other options other than to cancel the flight. The whole charging you for rebooking is nonsense, but at least you got that taken care of. If you used a larger airline, they have more flights & more planes, which can minimize (but not eliminate) these types of issues.

As far as Caesars goes: You had a night's reservation for there, and you agreed to the terms of needing to cancel a certain period in advance. Honestly, your travel issues isn't their issue. But, after you talked to a manager, they agreed to waive the night's stay. Next is the early checkin. Again, you agreed to their terms that check-in time is "4pm", not "whenever you feel like getting there". The manager explained the situation, which is valid for everyone: Check-in time isn't until 4pm, so a room may not be available until then. Your best bet is to try to check in when you arrive. Let the person know your situation (that your flight was cancelled and rebooked a day later with a morning arrival), and they may be able to waive the early check-in fee, IF a room is available. Remember...people are stil checking out from the night before, and your room may have been resold, so there are no guarantees rooms are available.

All in all, I'm not sure what you mean by practicing good business. You called and got a rebooking on the airline for no charge (even though there was some minor hassle). Then you called and got a night's stay removed for no charge. Sure, we would all love to be able to make phone calls and have the answering agent give us anything and everything we want, but in this case, after talking to the manager, you got basically everything you want.

Enjoy Vegas!

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,859 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelled flight!

I believe we should be fair to everyone, even corporations.

Caesars had an agreement with you, and they had every intention of honoring that agreement. Part of that agreement---to which you willingly agreed---states that if you cancel within a certain period of time you will be entitled to a full refund of your deposit (usually the 1st night). But if you cancel after the expiration of the required period, you will be charged the 1st nights rate.

YOU AGREED TO THIS!

It's not Caesars fault that you couldn't get there in time, and it isn't their fault that you did not notify them within the required period. You certainly would have expected them to honor all terms of the agreement. But you are not able or willing to do so yourself. AND you are asking (demanding) that they just ignore it and allow you a full refund.

Then you get angry, and post on this forum that big bad Caesars has done you wrong. You also blame a clerk, who probably has no authority to waive the charge, and complain that you had to speak to a manager. Who then did agree to meet your demands and not enforce the agreement.

If you had been fair, this is what you would have said: "I contacted Caesars, and after reaching a manager, I explained the situation with my flight and they very graciously waived the required penalty in our agreement."

"What happened to practicing good business?"

From where I am sitting, Caesars was accommodating and was very customer friendly.

I know you don't see it this way, but I can stand further back and see things from both POV.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,990 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelled flight!

Aren't you gonna feel dumb when you finally arrive and they have a room ready for you.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,073 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelled flight!

I know Jet Blue has a lot of fans, like Southwest. But here is another reason why they're both not always a good deal. It's lack of Interline Agreements and limited aircraft and routes.

When you book on legacy carriers like Delta, United, American etc., and your flight is canceled, they can get you on another flight, or even move your ticket to other airlines.

Jet Blue has a good network of International partners, but nothing domestically. So you're at their mercy.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelled flight!

I understand being pissed off with the airline but I don't understand why you are mad at Ceasers. You got what you wanted and they did not charge you.. If a room isn't ready when you do finally arrive, just check your bags with the bell desk and go off to have fun.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 18:45
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cancelled flight!

Calm down Ktinca - you'll have a coronary :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancelled flight!

Irish, I think it depends how many flights they have, being from Dallas southwest has lots of flights from/to here so even though they do not interline with other airlines, I choose Southwest because the shear number of flights they have out of Dallas