We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
982 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

Hi guys ... I've read so many topics about Skywalk ... how to get there etc. .... however, I decided to open a new topic to get an up-to-date information!

First question: Which bus companies would bring me from Las Vegas to the Skywalk?

And second question: where can I find the cheapest tickets for a helicopter flight from Las Vegas to the Skywalk?

I'd appreciate getting some replies ...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

Helicopter would be the way to go.

Time & comfort. A local advised me the bus trip is long & somewhat brutal compared to many typical vacation bus tours (it's a long lonely way out there!) so I booked a helicopter tour & never looked back.

I always use Maverick helicopter company, impressed by their service & newness of their fleet. Having blown off the bus option I have no suggestions there.

The bus tour I like best is the duoble-decker ride on the city transit up & down the strip!

Edited: 19 June 2014, 16:47
Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

Don't go to the Sky Walk, it's a tourist trap and is not part of GCNP. Go to the real Grand Canyon at the South Rim if you want to see the Canyon you've seen in pictures.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

I agree the National Park affords the richest in depth Grand Canyon Experience.

Book a stay at the El Tovar (a year or 2 in advance) a log cabin 5 star hotel. OMG!

However the Skywalk, despite having been built to attract tourists was a breathtaking, almost spiritual experience for me and many others I observed while I was there.

There was just something about staring directly down 2 miles into the canyon & seeing an eagle fly beneath my feet that got to me I guess. Possibly the closest thing to soaring with the eagles I'll ever experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
980 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

if youve read lots of threads about it then surely you must have read all the bad reviews and people recommending not to go there?

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

Sometimes you can get a room at El Tovar at the last minute. We got our reservation about 3 months before our July trip. While it is the best hotel in the GC group, I find it hard to believe it is a 5 star hotel. Maybe the location to the rim makes it so.

I agree with the others. If you want to see the Grand Canyon, go to the South Rim

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
10,638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

El Tovar 5 star LMAO

Sturgeon Bay...
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

I did the bus tour and found it to be fine. But then,anytime someone else is driving me around Im a happy camper. You will enjoy the skywalk despite what some may say here. It is a once in a lifetime thing. And if its a rip-of,then so is all of the strip. But just so I don't catch too much flak,let me say that the South rim is the most beautiful if you are a scenery person. If you are able to get a flight down into the canyon it will really thrill you. good lucki

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

If I were to visit the Museum Angewandte Kunst so I could come home to show folks I saw the Staedel Museum-

What would you think of my plan?

they're both museums right?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

>> There was just something about staring directly down 2 miles into the canyon...

LOL... um, let's try 800 feet max.

The Grand Canyon is only about 3,500 feet deep at the western end where the Skywalk is, but the Skywalk isn't actually over the Colorado River. It's in a side canyon and topo surveys show that it's maybe 7-800 feet from the Skywalk to the ground below.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,751 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skywalk - by bus or heli? How to book?

Some folks are challenged when estimating space and distance. Of course when they get lied to about it by advertising and tour guides, it makes it that much harder to comprehend.