We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

Indianapolis,IN
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
Save Topic
Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

There was a gambler on this forum years ago who befriended a pit boss at MGM Grand. The pit boss told him he had only met one player who had ever made money professionally at craps, and surprise he wasn't a control shooter...he would flat bet &25 on the dark side (don't) and play until he was up $200 and quit. Sometimes it would take 20 minutes...other times it would take 10 hours ... But the guy always walked away a $200 winner. What kind of bankroll do you think this strategy would take? 2k? 5k? I normally post blackjack questions because that's my game of choice. Just wanted to get feedback from my friends who play craps.

Encinitas...
Level Contributor
742 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

There is no betting strategy. The house has a percentage and the more you play, the more it will grind you. Your example is simply apocryphal.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 15:37
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

We have a word usage winner of the day.

I have heard all kinds of stories(gambling) this is just another. There are easier ways to make $200 a day I'm sure. If it were this easy everybody would be doing it.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
893 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

Average of 35 decisions per hour on a line bet.

Needs to win 8 units.

12 decisions in 20 minutes. 10 wins, 2 losses for 8 unit win or $75 needed to get that result.

350 decisions in 10 hours. 179 wins, 171 losses for 8 unit win or $4300 assuming worst case scenario.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

Not surprisingly, the secret to walking away from the table a winner is to...walk away when you're ahead.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

The retired pit boss I know offered different advice:

'Players don't win, & winners don't play"

or as Dave NJ 2006 wisely says, walk away when ahead.

Ok, but how do you GET ahead? That was the question. Place the max allowed or at least a heavy odds bet. Have wagers on numbers likely to be rolled like 5, 6, 8, & 9. Turn off your wagers when you want to (people forget you can do this)

That's an oversimplification of a complex game but read book: "The MENSA Guide to Gambling" chapter on craps & conduct thousands of video game simulations (fun!) to see how it all works & be mentally prepared for decisions on the table.

That's what I do & I do ok, win slightly more often than not, but the hardest part is to walk away. Oddly and counter to science, the times I loose the most are when I draw a line in the sand like $200.

apocryphal?

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,033 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

darren...are ya getting tired of blackjack?? LOL!!

Indianapolis,IN
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

Never rhino man! Blackjack will always be my first love. I just wanted to give placebets and Ninepays a chance to comment on something other than hotel/taxi questions! Lol

England
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

apocryphal

adjective

(of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true.

Someone ate a dictionary for breakfast!

Level Contributor
1,392 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

I play craps for the action. I'd rather pull my own teeth than making only a $25 line bet on either the do or don't. Pass line with full odds plus two Come bets the same way, maybe place the 6 or 8, never place 5 or 9. Buy the 4 or 10 if only paying vig on wins. Those are mathematically the best bets at the table, just as basic strategy is mathematically the best way to play BJ. After being paid a number of times, if the dice seem to be defying the odds, what others would call a "hot" roll, I'll make another come bet with full odds. On a rare occasion, I've had every number covered with full odds and that will get your juices flowing!

Edit: On a $5 table you're being paid $35 every time you hit. $70 on $10, $105 on $15 and $175 on $25.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 17:55
Malibu
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winning money at Craps in Las Vegas

darren, when it comes to any betting strategy for any Vegas game I can't help but think of the late great LA sportscaster Jim Healy :

"they'll send a car..."