We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

Donaghadee, United...
Level Contributor
647 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

Booked flights to Vegas and have 14 nts next April. Much as I love Vegas, and this is 4th trip, I want to do a side trip for the middle 4-5 nts. Where is worth going and reasonably easy to get to, bearing in mind we do not want to drive but are happy to take a flight.

Been to San Francisco and been out to Grand Canyon a couple of times. Not very keen to go to LA.

Any suggestions guys?

Many thanks

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,641 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,129 Reviews
from US$142.99*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 4-in-1 Helicopter Tour
916 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

4 or 5 nights via flight? Almost anywhere in the country, honestly!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

OP should have done more research before booking flights, I presume the OP booked return flights to LAS?

Rather than having a side trip in the middle, I would have had the side trip either at the beginning or end of Las Vegas, then the whole country is your oyster and it could also be more cost effective way of flying.

I would have chosen the East Coast USA for 4/5 nights.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
ireland
Level Contributor
452 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

Your original thought of San Diego would be a great choice, we did that city some years coupled with Las Vegas and Palm Springs and San Diego I believe regularly wins city of the year in the US.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Palm Springs
Palm Springs
Greater Palm Springs, CA
Donaghadee, United...
Level Contributor
647 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

FYI, OP did all the research necessary. Loves Vegas and got very good business class flight deal into Vegas. Have already been to USA around 40 times so I was asking a specific question about somewhere relatively near to Vegas where we could spend a few nights and see something new.

If I wanted to go to the East coast I would have booked it.

Rant over but some of the replies on here are.........pass remarkable to say the least.

Thanks Neilevan. good to hear you enjoyed San Diego.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
San Diego
San Diego
California
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

San Diego would be a great choice. More than enough to fill your time with a good mix of attractions and relaxation. And decent options in terms of flights from and to LAS.

Obviously ask on the San Diego forum for specific information and where is best to stay to take advantage of public transportation if you won't have a car.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

What the heck is that are you asking then? You wanted suggestion and it was given. If you decided on San Diego then what is the point of asking for suggestion?

How the heck do people know where you have been, it was a suggestion as you have asked. If you have been 40 times then go to another country. What the heck are you ranting about!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

San Diego is a fine choice, and 4 nights is enough. The problem is that April is ideal for Las Vegas, but not for everywhere else. Seattle is a good option, but you are not guaranteed prime weather that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
San Diego
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

Have you been to Monterey, Napa or Lake Tahoe? April might not be the best time to visit but it's something different then Vegas. It also depends on what you want to do on the side trip, relax, hike, water sports, etc.

tw

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
Donaghadee, United...
Level Contributor
647 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

Sky, you did not suggest anything of value.

Bearing in mind I have booked Vegas, by choice, saying I should have done more research or should have side trip before or after is irrelevant.

Telling me what you would have done is irrelevant. Why would I consider the east coast when I am asking for somewhere " worth going and reasonably easy to get to" By implication, and by my mention of LA, San Francisco and San Diego I think it would be apparent that I am looking for somewhere reasonably close for the 4-5 days.

Many thanks for the other helpful posts. I know little about San Diego but it seems from the feedback that it would be worth a visit. I will look at the San Diego forum, and have just had a look at Southwestern so seems easily do-able in terms of flights.

Kind regards

Sue

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Side trip for 4-5 nights??? San Diego?

Wow Sue. When people come from the UK for 2 weeks and suggest something to do in the middle of their trip, and they want to fly, I start thinking: It takes a little over an hour to get to San Diego. It takes about 5 hours to get to the East Coast. You stated you wanted some place easy to get to. Once you're on a plane, there's nothing to do but sit there and enjoy the flight.

At no point did you say you wanted something close by, or within an hour's flight time, or in a specific region of the US. You stated this is your 4th trip to Vegas. You stated a few places you've been. You stated you want to fly. For many travelers from the UK, they would be happy to fly from Vegas to NYC for several days. Or from Vegas to Miami. Or Vegas to Denver. You simply said San Diego? in your subject line, and then seemingly asked for suggestions within your post.

Instead, you appear you just wanted people to agree or disagree with San Diego. While sky's suggestion may not work for this trip, it would be something to consider for someone on another trip. Personally, you unfairly jumped all over his comment, when your questions were left wide open for discussion.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Denver
Denver
Colorado