We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father's Day trip report

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Father's Day trip report

Posted as a reply

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,043 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Father's Day trip report

Here is the pre-trip report for a bit of background.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g45963-i10-k752783…

We made the drive from Cincinnati to Indy to catch our SWA flight to LAS. Getting up at 3am is not much fun, but the flight was a few hundred less, and was non-stop, so it was worth the early morning. No issues with the flight, until landing. Everyone jumped up to wait in the aisle, and when my dad turned to look in the aisle, the guy beside him was standing there with his pants and underwear half down, so my dad got a nice view of the guy's hairy butt. Of course I took a photo and sent to my wife and mom. This would become a recurring theme on our trip.

Go the bags quick and off to the rental car center. Got a Toyota Avalon which turned out to be a great car for 24 hours. Got everything loaded and off to Cosmo for 2 nights free. Check in was great at 10am on a Sunday. Very quick and the guy at the desk was very friendly. We originally had 2 nights comped in a City View, but whern I called last week, they upgraded us to Terrace Studio for free. At the counter, my dad mentioned it was his first time there. Now we are in a fountain view at no cost. Perfect! My dad gives him $20 and we head up to the room. My dad really liked the view, and the room.

We headed out to Orleans for some gambling and lunch. I had the prime rib dip, which was one of the best meals I had there. At least a pound of perfectly cooked prime rib. We played some BJ and VP. Nothing memorable. From this point forward, I don't rmemeber exactly where we went or what we did, as we moved around a lot, so I'll just give the highlights (or lowlights, lol). That night we went to Jerry's Nugget for my dads favorite prime rib dinner. Was good and filling, gambling was OK. After dinner we went into the restroom and our "theme" came back. A guy was standing at the urinal with his pants at his ankles and his brown stained underwear at his knees, and the big hairy butt hanging out. No pics, as I about lost dinner.

Back to Cosmo, and we decided to head down the strip for some cheaper BJ tables at Monte Carlo and NYNY. Nothing happening at the tables at MC, so off to NYNY. We started at VP and Times Square bar. I got bored after 30 min and a few free drinks, so I went to the $10 6/5 BJ table. Not my first choice, but figured it didn't matter for the short time I was going to be there. Turns out it cost me at least $50, but I didn't care as I cashed out 10 minutes later with $765 from my $100 buy-in. Walked back to my dad to show and he nearly fell off his stool. Back to Cosmo to see some girls with extremely short shorts, so this was the better part of our theme :)

Next day we drove out to Sam's town to play some BJ and craps. We had a new variation on our theme today. At the BJ table, a woman from MI was on the other side of the table, and she apparently had beans for breakfast. Every 3-4 minutes. The entire table was gagging and she just sat there. I finally got up and left for the craps table. Turns out it was named that for a reason. After I won about $300 on the $3 table, guy next to me crapped his pants, and then didn't leave! Why me???

We left to go to MGM to pick up our tickets for Ka from MyVegas. On the way there on Tropicana, a bus stopped and we stopped behind it. 10 seconds later, a women rear ended us. She was in such a hurry to get to the airport to pick someone up, she forgot to look where she was going. Fortunately, no one was hurt. But our nice Avalon was no more. We called the police but found out they just changed the laws so police don't go to accidents unless there are injuries. We exchanged info and drove away, but her car was undriveable. We stopped at MGM and got the tix, then to the car rental place to exchange cars.

I was really worried about the process, but turned out it was pretty painless. I filed a claim with my insurance company online, which is all Alamo required. After filling out their 1 page form, tehy gave us our choice of the premium cars they had. All were 2 door Challengers, which wasn't going to work when my uncle got in town that night. We told the rental guy we needed a 4 door, so he said we needed to wait for one to come back. After a couple of minutes, he said go ahead and take the Infiniti G37 that was in the Luxury class. That worked for us. So the accident only cost us about 45 minutes total.

After that, we went to Bellagio to use our MyVegas lunch buffet rewards. At the mLife desk, they said it included VIP line pass. Turns out that was the best part. The line was out of the buffet and past the restrooms. Tooks less than 5 minutes to get too our table. Buffet was much better than last time I went. After, we went downtown for a while, then back to Cosmo to rest for a bit and watch some of the World Cup.

We started for the airport to get my uncle, then got a message that the flight was delayed (Coming from Sacramento). We stopped at Silver Sevens to see about a cheap craps game. Won a few hundred while waiting :). Got him, then back to Cosmo to drop off his bags, then we headed to MC to the Pub for dinner. This turned into the worst dining experience of the trip. The place wasn't even a quarter full at 9pm. Waited 10 minutes then went to find a server. He came over and appologized for the slowness because of how busy they were. Really??? We placed a beer order, and the other 2 got theirs. I got a story of how they were switching the keg and it would be a few minutes. Ok, no big deal. Our food comes, still no beer. Still changing the keg... We ate, food was ok at best. He finally brings me a beer, but not what I ordered, but at least he says it's free. Not a beer I would have chosen, but at least it was cold, wet, and free. We ended going to NYNY and Excal, but no big wins.

We packed up and headed for the Golden Nugget for my dads comp nights. We were in a Carson tower room which was a small step down from a Cosmo Terrace to say the least. Spent a lot of time wondering around DT gambling. My dad hit a royal at GN for $1000. I had a few wins for a few hundred. Dinner was at Hash House at the Plaza. Food was good as usual. Ws even better since one was free for signing up for email club. . Went to Ka that night. Was my second time seeing it. I never saw it with the original scene that was removed last year. However, they added a new scene since last November. I didn't care for the new scene. My dad and uncle both enjoyed the show. Off for some more gambling DT along with all the usual and unusual sights of Fremont. Fremont seems to be turning more adult oriented and a place I wouldn't recommend the average family take their kids at night. I had 2 topless nuns ask if I wanted my picture taken with them. A cowboy with buttless-less chaps (TA really has a problem with the correct word?). And a few more interesting sights. Along with the normal working girls.

Next day we were up early to go to Pauite Wolf golf course. Beautiful, challenging course north of LV. It's ranked in the top 5 in every rating I've seen for LV courses. It was definely a challenge, especially since the wind was rarely below 20 mph. Weather was great with a high temp of 87 that day. Had a great time and definitely would go back. Back DT for a few more BJ wins (and quite a few losses as well). That night, we used our MyVegas reward at Aria buffet. Food selecion was nice, quality was ok. Caeser's and Cosmo definitely were better from my past experiences. Afterwards we dropped my uncle at the airport and we went back DT to gamble the night aways, with little success.

Next morning was our last day. We went back to Sams Town for some more $3 craps. In my opinion, this is the best craps game in town for most people. $3, 20x odds. We had once great shooter. At one point I had $3 on every number with $60 odds and a $3 come bet. Off and on for at least a dozen rolls. Then I started upping it to $5 come bets and upping my odds to $100. Walked away with a couple thousand :) We went to M resort for lunch. Didn't really want a buffet, but since this was going to be our only meal of the day, we decided it was the best option. IMO, this is the best buffet for the price. Was only $16.99 and was far better selection and quality wise than the Bellagio lunch buffet. Afterwards we gambled a bit there and at South Point before heading to the airport. Finally made it home at 1:30 am today. Just a little tired now, and I'm really excited about dealing with that rental car now. At least I came home up a bit over $1000 in total after paying cash for everything. The best part was when my dad hugged me and thanked me for the trip and asked when we were going again.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Father's Day trip report

Wow! Amazing trip! Thank you so much for sharing! I was never able to experience Vegas with my dad. Glad to see that you took advantage of the opportunity while you still are able! So, when are you taking him again? ;)

Good luck with your insurance company! Hope that all works out!

Front Royal
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Father's Day trip report

Did you gamble any at Cosmo?

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Father's Day trip report

Great report. Thanks for sharing.

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Father's Day trip report

I did gamble a bit there, but craps was $10+,and bj was $15 6/5.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Father's Day trip report

Next time head over to the new section just outside the Bond Bar. They are open in the evenings, and their 8 deck shoe tables are $10 and 3:2. Very good tables!

Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Father's Day trip report

I looked at all of the open tables. none less than 15. There were more @ 50 than 15. Was very different than when I went last year.

Richmond, Canada
Level Contributor
870 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Father's Day trip report

Great trip with your dad and awesome wins! That will be a trip you will always treasure. Thank you so much for reporting. Bad luck on the car accident and good luck on dealing with your insurance, hope it works out for you ...

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Father's Day trip report

Your themed trip will be a story that will be retold in your family for years. Absolutely priceless! The best things we bring home from Vegas are the memories.

Thanks for the report.

Level Contributor
972 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Father's Day trip report

where is the Bond Bar, for the $10 BJ tables?

Edited: 20 June 2014, 18:59